Blue Spruce Chisels and Mallets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djgaloot

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm a bit late to the discussion on chisels but I've been busy making.... chisels (and marking knives)! I just wanted to clarify a few things about using a mallet on Blue Spruce Toolworks' chisels. The Dovetail chisels and Paring chisels are essentially the same chisels except for length. Both styles of chisels can be had with two styles of handles and three standard wood choices as well as custom woods. The three standard woods, cocobolo, African blackwood and hard figured maple can all be subjected to a little friendly tapping with a wood or leather mallet with no dire consequences. The back end of the chisel may show some slight denting or marring. The actual construction of the chisel is much more robust than they are given credit for. Since I have a good supply of chisels, I use mine very hard with a prototype carver's mallet and have not been able to break or even crack a handle. However, some posters in a previous thread are correct in that they are not designed as "bench chisels" which can take considerable pounding for removing large amounts of material. They are made for lighter duty tasks such as precision paring and are much less fatiguing to use than heavy duty (heavy) bench chisels but do not be afraid of light tapping. On the other hand, stay tuned for future products.
Dave Jeske
Blue Spruce Toolworks

Well, I've been using the prototype for over a year! I hope to have it in production in a month or so, but that is what I said about 6 months ago.

Latest posts

Back