Bloody cold shed!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As an aside anyone suffering from cold
feet (in a cold shed😁) for a couple of years now ive had to resort to wearing crocs due to foot damage from wearing leather soled boots most of my life
I wear the crocs all the time inc for work no socks water/ snow etc and feet stay warm as toast lads at work with thick socks and boots and cold feet cant believe it
Hope it may help someone!
that makes two of us, now if only they sold some with proper tread so I don't slip up all the time
they would be perfect

6' square, shiplap shed, with 18mm ply on floor and interior walls.
12v lighting, courtesy of solar panel, a charge controller, and a couple of older 12 car batteries feeding the LED lights. Surprisingly bright.
Obliged to keep a few things in there that I'd rather not get rusty/affected by condensation/whatever, and occasional short visits by yours truly for various purposes, so is there a way of using any type of 12v "heater" just to keep the temperature above zero?
I'll not be in there wearing a T-shirt, but wondered if one of these car windscreen type blower things might work? Something I could leave on overnight to keep the chill off when required?!
I put up with damp and cold conditions for three years. Having suffered with almost instant rust on tools in my previous 12mm shiplap skinned 8' x 6' shed, I realised something had to be done. In the end, I ran an extension lead from the house and kept an oil filled radiator on all the time. It was set to 20 degrees and the small space soon reached that temperature keeping the costs from my pension bearable.

It cured the immediate damp and cold problems and the bonus was that my tools had stopped getting rusty. Eventually the time came to change the shed for something a little larger (12' x 8'). I specified the timbers to be 22mm thick all around including pent roof and floor and added 8 inches to the roof height for accentuating a feeling of space. The shed is 7'8" high at the front and 6' high at the back. A heating engineer would be able to calculate the annual cost of raising and keeping that volume of air at 20 degrees.

The depth of the shed supporting braces was 2.36" so I put 1" celotex into the space between the braces, including the roof, and boarded it up with 5mm thick ply. I think the uninsulated 2.36" air gap had made a startling difference on its own. I still use a De-Longhi thermostat controlled oil filled radiator, which is set to 20 degrees and the shed is beautifully warm. Perhaps it is just getting older but at 75 years old, I feel disinclined to tolerate the cold and damp when I don't have to. The cost of a 2 kilowatt oil filled radiatior of the type I use is currently around £160 on Amazon.

Keeping the shed at a constant temperature seems easy to do and whatever the cost, I just accept it as the price of entry to enjoying my hobby machining wood, metal, slate, glass and ceramics. I would not willingly go back to an unheated and uninsulated shed. The cost of hiring a commercial electrician, to install a fuse board, six double socket outlets and two 6 foot long 7200 lumen lights was another really worthwhile expense that is fully justified. I now have an electrically safe, warm and well lit environment.

Last edited:
Back