blasphemous thought on japanese chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtt.tr

Established Member
Reaction score
Where can i get socket chisel handles to put on my Japanese chisels. i think it will improve them alot and should i decide they need a hoop then i will cut a slot for one and make my own hoop so it is embedded and i dont keep catching my hand on it.

I want lie nielson or stanley 750 handles

Do you know if the socket taper is the same on your Japanese chisels and the LN ones? I assume that you don't have a lathe to turn your own.

I have no idea is the taper is the same ideally i would buy on then hope i can make it fit. Assuming i can find a supplier. If it cant be made to fit then i would use the handle i brought as a guide to turning one

I am pretty sure Japanese chisels are not socket types - they have a short heavy tang together with a tapered ferrule.

I think you will have to make your own?

Rod

Harbo":y24y1mol said:
I am pretty sure Japanese chisels are not socket types - they have a short heavy tang together with a tapered ferrule.

Rod

You are correct yet i can still make a lie nielson fit

Chisel handles don't have to be turned and round. You can make good handles with a spokeshave or drawknife. Round ones are cheap to manufacture, using automated copy lathes, but you can make and use whatever suits your own hands.

Harbo":1ix6nwy3 said:

Rod
Rod's correct here...there's a short tang inside the handle - Rob

Alf has a guide on making handles plus Ray Iles sells London Pattern ones and other types?

Rod

mtt.tr":3eanwtol said:
Where can i get socket chisel handles to put on my Japanese chisels. i think it will improve them alot and should i decide they need a hoop then i will cut a slot for one and make my own hoop so it is embedded and i dont keep catching my hand on it.

I think you'll find the information you need (and more!) here:

http://www.japan-tool.com/nomi/Handle_M ... aking.html

BugBear

bugbear":gife95sr said:
mtt.tr":gife95sr said:

I think you'll find the information you need (and more!) here:

http://www.japan-tool.com/nomi/Handle_M ... aking.html

BugBear

Excellent ta

Very interesting - especially the bit about "applying" rust! :shock:

Glad I have a lathe :)

Rod

Back