Blade replacements

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whybob71

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
my record 077a need a new blade. Where can i find a new one, maybe better than the original?

Also, I own a stanley 220, which I use for first rough removal before LV block plane (especially for flushing solid edge on veneered plywood) and I would like to put on it a new better blade.

Thanks
Bob

You could try Ray Iles. I have just ordered a cutter for an 077 from him, good quality, reasonable price.

Google him, but phoning is best.

whybob71":t0n8wl7x said:
Hi all
my record 077a need a new blade. Where can i find a new one, maybe better than the original?

I can tell you from experience that a Clifton #311 blade does NOT fit; it's too thick.

BugBear

I purchased a Ray Iles blade for my Stanley #18 last month. The blade is "high carbon steel" and is a bit thicker than the stock Stanley. If I remember correctly, the thickness is about .100".

Came with a bit of a hollow on the face, which made flattening not bad at all. The high carbon steel took a very nice edge and holds quite well, with the woods I've used it on so far being cherry, poplar and some maple.

Of all blades I have and have used, at the top of my list is the blade in my #3 Clifton. It takes and holds an edge better than any other plane, and my #3 because of that is my most used smoother. The Clifton blade competes against some A2 LN, Hock and Veritas. I also have some high carbon Hock as well as older Stanley, and the Clifton feels (at least to me) the best. With that said, the Ray Iles feels very similar to the Clifton.

T.Z.

I am in need of a new blade for a Sweetheart #4 and I'll will purchase (probably) a Ray Iles for it and (probably) a Clifton chip breaker (that is, unless I find a really good deal on a Clifton blade--those beasts are pricey!).

Several months ago I ordered a plane iron from Jim Reed for my A5 - sending him a dimensioned template of my requirements. The price agreed was $44 which included postage.
It arrived with a bit of a delay, but sadly it seemed to have shrunk in the wash! It was 1/8" narrower than I had ordered, but the worst thing was that the cap iron slot was not parallel to the edge and I could not fit the cap iron properly. I emailed Jim who suggested I re-tempered the iron myself or failing that if sent a new template he would send a replacement. So not wishing to damage the iron (as I have yet to perfect my smithing skills) I opted for the replacement. Sadly 2 months has gone by with nothing!
Not all is lost as I had a new iron made to fit the plane by Ray Iles which works beautifully and I managed to use the Jim Reed iron on another plane by filing out the slot slightly with some diamond files - very hard work though!
I know Jim is not a professional maker but he did have good write ups but I certainly could not recommend him to others by my experience.

Rod :(

Someone who accepts money for goods is a professional. I suspect that Jim likes to gang many blades for efficiency and heat treating (he probably sends blades out for ht). He is a small producer, who may occasionally fall short of the expectations of those of us accustomed to the LV's of this world. Please be sure and email him about all this, if you haven't already.

Pam

PS I've no financial interest, haven't even purchased anything from him.

Latest posts

Back