Blade length question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roombacurious

Established Member
Reaction score
It may be a silly question but does the length of the blade has to exactly match the saw manufacturer's specs?
I mean, when the manual says "blade length 128mm" will it only accept 128 or can it also work with 125 or 130mm blades?
2-3mm don't sound that much to me...

Most blades are a standard length of 5". If you buy pinned blades the pins will be a set distance apart, if you buy pinless blades then you have a little more play since you can insert slightly more or slightly less blade into the holder. The play will not be that much however, a mm or two maximum.

I believe the excalibur has slightly more play since it has a spring tension system but without going home and checking mine wouldnt like to confirm for certain how much play there is.

Steve.

On my Axminster AWFS18, (Hegner clone) you can adjust the top arm by approximately 30mm using the tension control nob.

Don't know if this helps at all, I just threw it in in case.

Regards

Gary

I don't know of a saw produced by a reputable manufacturer which isn't designed to accept blades 5" long. The precise length of the blade isn't usually critical although if you should change from a blade of one length to one of a different length it will affect the tension set-up. It is rare to find a any noticeable variation on blade length though - the manufacturers seem to have got this sorted. I just know about using slightly shortened blades from my experience as a novice scroller when I would break blades in the clamp and try to recycle them :oops: .

Some saws, principally Diamonds but also Hegners to some degree, can be configured to accept blades which are not a standard length. However, they are designed to use 5" and that's always been long enough for my scrolling.

I would have thought using a set of blades which varied from the prescribed length by a couple of percent wouldn't make much difference to most saws. It would depend on the type of saw and the blade clamping system. You'd have to adjust your tension though if you switched to a different brand of blades.

StevieB":25kcuy88 said:
I believe the excalibur has slightly more play ... but without going home and checking mine

How did you manage to acquire an Excalibur? What model is it and how does it perform?

Gill

Latest posts

Back