Blade drift

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikebart

Established Member
Reaction score
I was watching a you tube video on scroll sawing and the guy was saying to saw a straight line you have to continuously adjust your wood to compensate for blade drift.
I have heard the same about bandsaw blade drift.
Now having used a bandsaw a lot have never encountered this but as a novice scroll saw user is there any such thing.
Just curious.

I was watching a you tube video on scroll sawing and the guy was saying to saw a straight line you have to continuously adjust your wood to compensate for blade drift.
I have heard the same about bandsaw blade drift.
Now having used a bandsaw a lot have never encountered this but as a novice scroll saw user is there any such thing.
Just curious.
Ok Google is your friend
Seems drift occurs due to blade manufacturing process ie burr left on right hand side of the blade.
Ground blades have burr removed after or during manufacturing process and I would guess cost more.
Sorry think I answered my own question am I clever or wot😜

You can also remove the bur with one of two passes of a file along the length of the blade. People do this on handsaw, so you could experiment with a blade that is drifting (and that you don't mind messing up in the the pursuit of learning!)

Back