Blade advice wanted

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffalo Chas

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks. I am new to the world of scrollsawing and still trying to find my way around some of the finer points of the craft. - like blades for instance. I hate to admit it but I am using blades I purchased from Screwfix just after I purchased my saw. It was a pack of 36 Record blades, 12 spiral and I think the others were 12 no.5's and 12 no. 3's ( there was no description on the packet label). I now need to get some good blades but don't know about the differences in all the various blades, e.g. reverse tooth, skip tooth, double reverse, etc, etc.
Can I have some advice please as to what to buy. I am only cutting plywood and cheap white builders wood (might be spruce or birch). Are all no. 3 blades the same width and thickness? Are Proxxon Micromot fine tooth blades any good?
All help gratefully received.
By the way, l really appreciate some of the tips I have picked up reading all your posts on the forum and am amazed at the kind of work you guys produce.
Thanks
Charley

Welcome to the forum Charley :cool:
If you can use pinless blades I use Pegas Skip blades which work well on many materials including the Corian which I have been experimenting with at the moment, I use Pegas No3 Skip which are pretty fine but they do them in other sizes. I buy mine from Axminster and prices are pretty good at £2.30 for 12 and postage is £1.00 even if you buy 10 packs of them.
Some of the other guys/gals will be along later who have much more experience than myself and will explain more about blade choice.
Cheers
Brian

Thanks Brian, thanks Paul. I checked Axminster's site and postage to Northern Ireland is £4.95. - even if it is only one pack of blades at £2.30!!. May have to try and find out if there are any Pegas or Olsen stockists over here with reasonable prices & postage. Yes Brian I forgot to mention that I can use painless blades. By the way I have been viewing some of your intarsia work and it is absolutely fantastic. You really are very gifted.

Hello, and welcome.

Shipping charges rarely reflect a fair value for money so it might pay to buy in bulk. At least then you should get better value for money.

Barry

I have only recently acquired my scroll saw - I am using Flying Dutchman Ultra Reverse blades and I like them.

Hi. Thanks for the info. Can you give me some more information regarding the Flying Dutchman blades, eg, do you use no 3, no 5 or what and where do you get them.
Charley

Back