black staining????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugo35

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all.
just wondering if anyone has got any ideas of stopping the black staining that oak causes to hands :evil: (know why it does it thats the easy bit). will barrier cream stop it or is there an easier way.

I don't think I would mess with hand creams....you might find it stains your work. I have never had a problem with oak staining my hands but if I did I think I would buy latex gloves such as used by dentists. I use them all the time when applying stains or to give me a better grip when routing small parts on my router table.

Lee

Ive never had it stain my hands . Was it old stock off a shelf ? maybe sooty deposits left on it over time ? I have found that a problem .

Hi lugo35
Do you get sweaty hands as that does it some times but if you get this try some gloves, it will do what you need :) .
It is a pain when it happens as it takes some time to come out.

JFC the oak is new kiln dried your lucky if you dont get this prob it does not come off have to wait for it to wear off :?
dont think i could work in gloves everyday. :(

Lugo, you must have a lot of iron in your blood :lol:

Nothing helpfull to add,sorry

Julian

PS have you tried those industrial wet wipes, they get most things off, even paint!

If you want to help get the black stops out, have you try house hold bleach as just a little with some soap helped to get it out when I have had it :)

I'm glad that somebody else has this problem too......with a little experimentation I've found that its the mixture of sweat, iron from the planes and the tanin from the oak that causes my hands to go black.

I can feed oak through my planer all day long and my hands don't turn black......

I can hand plane most any other timbers and my hands don't go black....

but as soon as I get all three togther I get black hands....its a shame to as I love working with oak!

SimonA

I am lucky as most will not see it on my hands :shock: :) ( see pic in the rouges gallery :wink: )

Used to only work with oak, black hands all the time. Then I discovered the magic of lemon juice. Works best if you slice a lemon in half and rub it on your hands

senior is that to prevent it or remove it??????

thanks for the tip. get the staining with braz mahogany aswell more of a blue colour tho

senior":2p7xpvxr said:
Works best if you slice a lemon in half and rub it on your hands
Plus I imagine it's a really good incentive to avoid cutting yourself... :shock: :lol:

Welcome to the forum, Senior. :)

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back