Black bear cub

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silversam

Established Member
Reaction score
Almost completed my latest intarsia. Started this a while ago and managed to get a lot done this weekend. Not varnished it yet. It’s a Judy gale Roberts pattern from her wildlife intarsia book. Hope you like it.

Attachments

• 6BFEE81A-FFC5-4ED4-91C3-25C786B9C3B0.jpeg
    6BFEE81A-FFC5-4ED4-91C3-25C786B9C3B0.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 493
That's a corker !!! The fur looks very realistic.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I haven’t used anything other than brush on or spray on varnish Brian. What do you mean by using a wax. Sounds better but I’ve never used any. What would I have to get and where do I buy it Brian. Would like to try it.

Varnish does not always give the result I like and it makes the white wood yellow. Does the wax prevent yellowing.
I have bees wax. I don’t know if that’s any good for finishing.

Andy

Just had a look at the tin of wax that I have, got it from Oakland for a oak table. It says it’s a clear wax for hardwood and has beeswax in it. Sounds like this may be ok. I will have to try it out on some scrap wood. I wasn’t keen on the results when I used it on my oak table as it left marks on it no matter how much I buffed it. I wonder if I was putting too much wax on it.

Thanks for the info Brian. Have a few things to buy now lol. Will certainly give this a try. Sounds like the best way to go for a good finish.

Love it! =D>

A close resemblance to the little fella I photographed in Canada last year.

Attachments

• black bear cub.jpg
    black bear cub.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 439
A bit late from me (that "Show latest new posts" thingy in the new Forum software doesn't work very well for me) but I too like you bear a lot - as someone already said, especially the fur. =D>

hi really like the bear and the fur looks realistic, I though you might of used on of the wonder wheels off either jgr or Cathy wise one of them sells them

take care
John

No I didn’t use a wonder wheel. I used a dremel with a disc attached. The disc came with some attachments I bough for the dremel. I practised first on some scrap wood testing how much pressure to use and the length of the cut. I was pleased how it turned out.

Back