Black and Decker matrix. Don't scoff just yet.......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm fairly certain that my father had a circular saw attachment for his Wolf, and then Stanley Bridges when the Wolf died, electric drill.
I'm also pretty certain that it was a Picador brand. He made his somewhat meagre living from constructing and fitting built-in wardrobes and the like in the 60s and 70s.

Power tools were expensive back then. My dad would have given his eye teeth for a cordless screwdriver, and a track saw would have been a real boon - but such things simply didn't exist.
I think he had a rotary sanding disc attachment as well, come to think of it. He certainly didn't have any other sanding machines.

Anyway, it's easy to scoff these days when even the casual DIYer has a box full of designer brand yellow or green power tools.

Wolf Cub And all the accessories, Sadly most of them lost in the mists of time. BUT I do still have my Dad's work bench with the logo on the front and two round pin sockets. when he worked there in the '50's

I thought I might have imagined the jig saw but here it is

s-l225.jpg

And again with two circular saw attachments - one in the middle with the mounting plate which converted it into a table saw. Clever stuff!

$_86.JPG

Jacob":9uv0f8uc said:
I thought I might have imagined the jig saw but here it is

s-l225.jpg

And again with two circular saw attachments - one in the middle with the mounting plate which converted it into a table saw. Clever stuff!

$_86.JPG
That's some of what I had Jacob but my brother in law had a little engineering company and for a saw plate he put a rolled edge on to a bit of steel plate which hooked over the jaws of my B&D workmate so it was ideal as a makedo table saw. I remember the jigsaw having a lot of vibration but was useful as I could also mount that on to the saw plate.
I'm sure I still have some bits somewhere. Definitely have the drill stand and the saw plate.

Surprising (or perhaps it isn't!) how often those B&D "accessories" still show up in charity shops, usually still in original packaging! To me it suggests they were actually quite well made, out of metal rather than plastic, but fundamentally limited in useability.

I can remember using the circular saw attachment quite often, especially for cutting rebates, lap joints etc where depth of cut limitations didn't matter. Never heard of a router in those days so this was really the easiest and quickest way to do them as far as I was concerned. Also the orbital sander attachment was a huge time saver. I never made much use of the stands. The vertical stand looked quite impressive in those days but it didn't earn it's keep in our shed. And of course a chuck mounted wire brush for de-rusting. Not a patch on a modern angle grinder but again, in those days, I had never seen such a thing. And all that from a single speed, basic drill with 3/8" chuck.

K

Latest posts

Back