bit of a "find" - now in need of a project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinny

Established Member
Reaction score
theres a house round the corner undergoing a renovation and extension build. Whilst driving past the other day I spotted the old staircase in the garden. I asked the chippie if it was destined for the tip, he said it was, so I asked if I could have it. He told me to fill my proverbial boots, but warned that it was heavy. to cut a long story short, I dragged it the 300yds to my house (mainly up hill) and can conclude that he wasn't wrong - it was bloody heavy.

IMG_0505-1.jpg

IMG_0504-1.jpg

After some work with a screw driver and a hammer and bolster all the treads were off, I gave one a dose of belt sander to get the plaster and other building site crud off and put it throuigh the PT.

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

Turned out nice I think, now just need a project or 2, my next door neighbour has already said that I could make a nice staircase out of them or a load of giant crib boards :roll:

Vinny

Don't think its parana pine, it's very heavy and dense, I thought it was oak, think it still is but I am open to suggestions

Vinny, if it's heavy and dense (and looking at the grain) I'd hazard a guesstimate and plump for aformosia, which was used at one time as a substitute for teak. If you ask me, there's a nice cabinet in there...so none of your painted mdf stuff next time! :p :lol: :lol: - Rob

Looks alot like a load of Sapele that i have lying around, either way it still amazes me what people throw away!!

Andy

woodbloke":jq7r2d8s said:
If you ask me, there's a nice cabinet in there...so none of your painted mdf stuff next time! :p :lol: :lol: - Rob

I feel like a scolded schoolboy now Rob :oops: :oops: , the painted mdf was a means to an end and I can't promise that it won't rear it's ugly head again in the future, however.......I've been wanting to make a tentative move to the "fine" side for a long time and have built up quite a collection of hard woods, from varying sources (mainly skips and the recycling centre, I've also managed to get some as yet identified hard wood from pallets)
My first thought on using my "find" is to make a cabinet for sky box etc (very nasty flatpack unit is its home at the moment). First job will be to cut it down into slimmer slabs but that will have to wait until I have a talk with ian at tuffsaws as the present blade in my bandsaw would make a right royal mess off things.

I'll keep y'all posted as I head "towards the light"

Vinny

I don't think its oak. I would put a vote towards the Sapele thou purely on looks.

Vinny":1bnmm3hs said:
woodbloke":1bnmm3hs said:
If you ask me, there's a nice cabinet in there...so none of your painted mdf stuff next time! :p :lol: :lol: - Rob

I feel like a scolded schoolboy now Rob :oops: :oops: , the painted mdf was a means to an end and I can't promise that it won't rear it's ugly head again in the future, however.......I've been wanting to make a tentative move to the "fine" side for a long time and have built up quite a collection of hard woods, from varying sources (mainly skips and the recycling centre, I've also managed to get some as yet identified hard wood from pallets)
My first thought on using my "find" is to make a cabinet for sky box etc (very nasty flatpack unit is its home at the moment). First job will be to cut it down into slimmer slabs but that will have to wait until I have a talk with ian at tuffsaws as the present blade in my bandsaw would make a right royal mess off things.

I'll keep y'all posted as I head "towards the light"

Vinny
Vinny, I completely understand...sometimes the MDF route is the best way forward for a particular job (and I've been there) and in the case of the suite just finished...a very nice job was done! That said, you've now obtained :-" free and gratis some quality hardwood (and even better, well seasoned quality hardwood) that to me seems to be crying out to be used for a decent 'fine' furniture piece and a media unit of some sort for the Sky box sounds to me like a step ('scuse pun :lol: ) in the right direction. Keep us posted on how you progess in using the material...whatever you do, really take your time in deciding how it's going to be used as you've only got a finite number of stair treads! - Rob

Another vote for sapele, still a good haul of usable timber. Not your typical furniture timber, I have made one piece in 22yrs from the stuff, and found it a bit crumbly for jointing. Might of just been the batch I used of course.

Back