biscuiting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speed

Established Member
Reaction score
how many biscuits would you guys use when joining timbers 1m long?

for some reason on the bottom panel i used 3 and the top panel i used 7, why i dont know is there an average

There are some unknowns here I think, but generally I like to go about 250mm centres... however it depends a lot on many things - quality of mating surfaces to start with (the old rub-joint on boards for a table top relied entirely on good contact), degree of load the joined boards may be under, climate stresses? (indoor, outdoor?) and so on. If you have the patience I would say more (within reason) will be better.

For something like a thick, heavy table top you could use two rows

Competition19.jpg

This was for an oak table 3 feet in diameter

Competition21.jpg

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul - off-thread I know, but I would be interested to see the 'undercarriage' for that table - the top looks very nicely solid. Wonder if it may be folding?

Hi Douglas,

No, it wasn't folding. It was a copy (from memory) of an old Dutch table that I made for my brother-in-law. I don't have any decent photos of the finished table, but the undercarriage gave me a few problems. The legs were angled outwards, very slightly, from top to bottom, so I cut and fitted the individual legs and rails using loose tenons. Here are a couple of photos during construction

Slidingbevel4.jpg

Slidingbevel5.jpg

And here's a sliding bevel thingy I made to work out and transfer all the various angles

Slidingbevel1.jpg

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Back