Bird Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joiner_sim

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a quick'un I've done today, as a prototype before I make up a large batch of these. If any one has any thoughts or ideas to help me make it better, would be appreciated, thankyou!

DSCF0884.JPG

It is made from 12mm plywood and its glued and nailed together. The roof is made from 9mm ply and a stone-based board laminated together. The lid just slots in and under some tests, can only be removed by humans! The base has two 4mm drainage holes.

Looks good

With the felted roof

All I can see it needs is

Guttering and down pipe

A Door bell

And a House number

:mrgreen:

Just one thought , are they supposed to have a small perch just below the hole ?

Hi,
I don't prefess to be an expert, but where we are we put a metal washer round the hole to stop the woodpeckers robbing the nest.
The other thing, is the hole size should be no more than an inch ( for bluetits etc......).
My best boxes have a hinged bottom for emptying the contents at end of the nesting season, though some say not to bother.

Howard

The hole size on the front will determine what will use the box, so why not have a choice of sizes by having different and changeable fronts ie something like this (pic shamelessly nicked from t-internet)

Attachments

• Products_Accessories_Orchard-Multi-Nest-Box-FSC.png
    Products_Accessories_Orchard-Multi-Nest-Box-FSC.png
    127.4 KB · Views: 2,097
Looks good.

A perch isn't necessary. Birds dont need it.

Hole does look quite big... What's the diameter? Blue **** are the most likely nesters in most gardens. After that you have robins which need a half front box.

A metal guard round the hole is a good idea if you have squirrels or woodpeckers about and can be bought. It's a metal plate with the same sized hole as the box. Just stops the hole being enlarged.

Hi thanks for the comments guys! The hole..... you guys must have bionic eyes to be able to tell its too big in the photo LOL! I was going to cut it at 25mm, but then decided to go for a 32mm hole as its more "Universal" according to the different sizes that are available. So... I borrowed a multi-size hole cutter, and not thinking to test the cutter on scrap first after doing a quick measure.... I just cut the hole. Turned out I wanted the next cutter down as the one I used was about 38mm! This is only a prototype so doesn't matter too much, the next lot will be 32mm!

Alot of boxes are not made and sold with the metal plate, and so I'm going to keep away from that if I can.

The perch is an idea I considered, but decided against after looking at many others.

The "felted roof" is a stone-based board we use at work, as an exterior cladding on the farm buildings we make to house animals and I feel it really does set my piece off well, without it, the box would be no different to the many others available on the market!

Guttering & door bell will be after market options for the future :p But no seriously, all it does need now is space for one of those bird box cameras to be fitted, but I will be making a feeding table to incorporate a camera before I do a bird box to.

Good job Simon,

As other have said, the hole decides who comes to call. I like the idea of offering the option of boxes with different sized holes or even a replaceable front as pictured.

regards

Brian

Its a nice idea, but I feel it could be done in a more inconspicious (it that how you spell it?) way. I think I will try and make boxes with a standard size hole first, but if it becomes an issue in the future, I will make them in various sizes.

Blue **** need a 25mm hole so at 32mm you're aiming for Great ****, Sparrows etc. If I was choosing only 1 size of hole I would go for the smaller 25mm for Blue **** as they are more likely to nest in a box than the others.

Knocked this up over a couple of days ,
now have neighbours demanding I make them one as well

Attachments

• resized dovecot.jpg
    resized dovecot.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,813
Bird Palace, very nice and not suprised your neighbours wanted one aswell.

Do remember someone on here building some massive birdhouses

re hole enlarging, I'd noticed that some of ours were pecked/ nibbled and thought it must be a predator or something wanting to use it but couldn't get in - until I saw a blue tit pecking at it. Blue **** could get through the original holes fine, so what was that, an insurance job?

When I put the felt on the ones I made (it was thinner felt) I folded it under like a semi parcel or nurses' corners to stop the wood getting wet at the front. I should think that was more important with ply? Or is it something special?

Richard T":1mqypeok said:
re hole enlarging, I'd noticed that some of ours were pecked/ nibbled and thought it must be a predator or something wanting to use it but couldn't get in - until I saw a blue tit pecking at it. Blue **** could get through the original holes fine, so what was that, an insurance job?

When I put the felt on the ones I made (it was thinner felt) I folded it under like a semi parcel or nurses' corners to stop the wood getting wet at the front. I should think that was more important with ply? Or is it something special?

Yes I had the same Blue **** pecking all around the entrance, thought it may have been some form of mating ritual, would like to know.

The main criticism that I have, is the choice of material. Ply could delaminate very quickly, and I'd also be concerned about any toxins that may be present in the glue that is used in the process of making the ply.

EddieJ":14g18xbk said:
The main criticism that I have, is the choice of material. Ply could delaminate very quickly, and I'd also be concerned about any toxins that may be present in the glue that is used in the process of making the ply.

So what would you recommend?

regards

Brian

If it's marine ply then I don't see a problem. Perhaps it's not the best ever but plenty of commercial boxes are made from ply.

I understand timber is best also. However, the reason behind the plywood being used is that it is heavily available from offcuts I am producing in large quanties and I am looking for another way to get rid of my offcuts rather than just throwing away.

Back