Basic bird box with removal apex lid

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roboboyo

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am going to make a bird house for my dads allotment but he has requested one with an apex roof and one where you can lift the lid off.

I have some rough ideas in my head but was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to make the roof lid removable?

Any help appreciated

Cheers

I don't have any photographs with this lid off but the whole aluminium covered wood roof comes off just by lifting it.
View attachment 1668017426720.jpeg

This next one, the house lifts off the base which maybe a little easier to clean it out although the person it was made for actually put it on the kitchen dresser so I had to make another planer one.
1668018030743.jpeg

I don't think this one was happy with that
1668018140441.jpeg

Just make a box with pointy eves add another set of pointy eves inside the outer ones about an inch into the box screw roof ply to these.

If you need to put a screw through both.

Presumably he wants to be able clean it out every year (as you should). A removable base achieves the same and makes cleaning the base (dirtiest part) easier. Just saying….😊

this is one I made for bluetits, should be very easy, all using boards of pine, I got the plans from the RSPB website, it's screwed together so there's no joinery. To remove the lid there's 4 screws, so it's easy to remove.

Attachments

• birdhouseno1_green-1.jpg
    birdhouseno1_green-1.jpg
    629.4 KB · Views: 0
RSPB have plans and there are ones for Bat's and Bee hotels!
Ive plans drawn on a piece of paper can post up if don't find later as time for bed!

there's no equiv of the RSPB here.......need to know what OWL boxes plans are nec for the local birds, it's for the new barn/workshop....
guess they just shoot em .....!!!! like everything else........
never seen a barn owl here.......
we do have one strange Owl tho....
please listen, only a few seconds, it can keep this up all night....we thought it was an alarm at first....hahaha......

got a few bat boxes up plus an unfinished insect hotel.....just never enough time.....lol...need another spare day, what ever that is....
the sparrows took 2 years to use the bird boxes......even put up shallow trays under the eve's of the front porch.....
IMG_4221.jpeg

Clogs sounds like a scops owl to me. Only heard one in the flesh as it were and that was in Greece too, but Ionian Greece, Corfu. There was also something that msde a "Tonk" noise too, same place in Corfu, I put that down to an owl too as it was only heard at night!

Latest posts

Back