birch ply stockists ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm having no luck at all this afternoon trying to find anyone that stocks Birch ply in Somerset I've been trawling for a couple of hours and have rung all the merchants within a 30 mile radius without luck.
Everyone I contacted was willing to order a sheet in for me but of course I'd have no way of knowing what condition it would arrive in . it could be completely unusable by the time it got to me .

Has anyone any suggestions where I could mail order some Birch ply ? The largest size pieces that I need are only 500mm x300mm so I would be happy to order a ripped sheet say 4 pieces 600mm x 1200mm for ease and cheapness of posting.

B&Q was the first place I tried but they do not stock it :wink:

They have exterior and spruce

I'm running out of patience looking for hardwoods and Birch ply so I may just use regular ply instead . I'm sure there must be a way to tidy up the exposed edges with a router . Wish I had a thicknesser

I will declare I don't know what I am talking about but presumably you just need something better that the usual stuff stocked by bnq et al.
We need someone who knows the correct term.

What's marine ply like?

I'm interested as I want some too.

lurker":31y9bf3p said:
What's marine ply like?

In terms of being free from voids (which is the key thing that the OP commented on) then top quality, Lloyds approved, marine ply is the best of the lot. Excess voids with marine ply can result in someone drowning so they've quality controlled that particular issue out of the product, only problem is it's hugely expensive, so instead of worrying about voids you just need to worry about bankruptcy!

A better solution might be to find a more economical ply with a decent show face, and then apply a lipping to the exposed edge.

Hi Johnny , i dont know where abouts you , but have you tried Yandles , they do carry a good selection of ply and veneered ply , might be worth a try , even calling them

cheers Dusty

Are you still looking? Pm me your cutting list and I will see if I can sort it out for you.

Dusty":3kxllujh said:
Hi Johnny , i dont know where abouts you , but have you tried Yandles , they do carry a good selection of ply and veneered ply , might be worth a try , even calling them

cheers Dusty
Hi Dusty
what an excellent suggestion ! I never thought of them and I used to cycle past their yard for years too. :roll: and then up through Kingsbury so I know your village well
i'll give them a ring in the morning thanks Dusty.

Chrispy":1dhqb0tx said:
Are you still looking? Pm me your cutting list and I will see if I can sort it out for you.

thank you Chris thats a very kind offer. My next step was to ask if anyone on the forum knew a company that could rip a sheet into smaller pieces for me .

I've calcualted that 600mm x600mm sheets would be the most economical size for me to cut from and for economy of posting otherwise its going to be a lot of work cutting the individual strips for all the drawers and tray .
I'll draw up a list tonight and pm you see what you can suggest.
Johnny

thanks niagra that looked like it might be a great solution until I saw the prices

......pineapple me :shock: thats expensive . I thought I'd seen some pretty steep plywood prices this week but that takes the biscuit.

If its going to be that expensive I'm definitely going to go with the ordinary plywood
Phew ...I'm going to lie down :lol:

Your local builders merchants may be worth a call also. I know Travis Perkins can get it. No idea on prices though.

Robbins in Bristol sell a huge range of high grade ply including special grades for boatbuilding. No min order but unlikely to be cheap.
Avon Plywood in Keynsham have been recommended on here and are one of the places I would try if I was looking for some.

Avonplywood brilliant. Their cutting service and lipping are excellent. 0.2mm accuracy, pretty good. They also CNC. Robins are cheaper and supply range of hard and soft woods, as are clarks woods. Robins offer cutting service, clarks do not.

AndyT":292zomq3 said:
Robbins in Bristol sell a huge range of high grade ply including special grades for boatbuilding. No min order but unlikely to be cheap.
Avon Plywood in Keynsham have been recommended on here and are one of the places I would try if I was looking for some.

thanks Andy I hadn't realised how difficult it would be to obtain some ply . I am unlikey to be able to travel so far to collect unfortunately as I can rarely leave the house but will ring tomorrow and see what they have to offer. Cheers

mahomo59":292zomq3 said:
Avonplywood brilliant. Their cutting service and lipping are excellent. 0.2mm accuracy, pretty good. They also CNC. Robins are cheaper and supply range of hard and soft woods, as are clarks woods. Robins offer cutting service, clarks do not.

great thanks for the heads up. Another one to call tomorrow. Sounds like their cutting service could be a clincher.

mindthatwhatouch":21bvy9v1 said:
Your local builders merchants may be worth a call also. I know Travis Perkins can get it. No idea on prices though.
sorry I missed this suggestion earlier. I tried TP this afternoon and they don't stock it locally at Taunton or yeovil . They offered to order some for me but I declined as you have no control over how badly damaged it could get in transit and also would be unable to select the sheet I wanted .
Thanks for the suggestion though

Imagine trying to offer help to someone who appears to have you on ignore. I'm only guessing as he's responding to everyone else.

I'll keep my birch ply off cuts in Somerset to myself :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back