Birch ply alternatives

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonw1664

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience of this type of lternative to Birch ply?

FSC® Certified Meyer Commercial Euca Faced Poplar Core Plywood CE2+ - EN314-2 Class 2. EN636-2. E1​

It would be great to hear from anyone who has used this, or any other Euca/Poplar Ply
Quote Reply
Report Edit

Last edited:
My "timber guru" chum described it as "slightly better than OSB" !!! - not impressed.

I've just made a table with Stretek ply (18mm, poplar faced) - it works well although the "grain" isn't as pronounced as top-grade Birch which is what I really wanted. Robin Clevett on YT has just done some interesting wall-cladding using Stretek - worth a look.

I have used Chinese Poplar plywood during a camper van conversion. It's very light( the point) and has a fairly good surface, if somewhat bland. I laminated my panels to save buying Vohringer boards. It worked well for that application. It takes a screw well as it's very soft, but it's in no way a substitute for Birch ply. But then, it's not trying to be. If you need to save weight, it's definitely worth a pop.

My "timber guru" chum described it as "slightly better than OSB" !!! - not impressed.

I've just made a table with Stretek ply (18mm, poplar faced) - it works well although the "grain" isn't as pronounced as top-grade Birch which is what I really wanted. Robin Clevett on YT has just done some interesting wall-cladding using Stretek - worth a look.
I agree, if you want the beauty of Birch Ply end grain, it has to be Birch Ply. Alternative products are OK, if you want the Birch face, but don't deliver the same "edge appeal" as the real thing.

I agree, if you want the beauty of Birch Ply end grain, it has to be Birch Ply. Alternative products are OK, if you want the Birch face, but don't deliver the same "edge appeal" as the real thing.

The recent project was a dining table with exposed edges - the Stretek was fine with thin veneers almost the same as good Birch (it's 2 x 18mm laminated together and trimmed/sanded to "lose the join"

Back