Bigger bandsaws...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been looking around for ages for a bigger machine and so far the Axminster bandsaw that Philly and Waka have is in pole position, as it's got a very good build quality and huge depth of cut at 300mm. Any other recommendations though...what about the Record BS500? Interested to hear what others think of these bigger machines - Rob

Ive used a record machine for several years and while it does what I want of it, its not the best piece of machinery i've owned and I wouldnt replace it with another Record.
I too like the look of the Axminster and that would be my choice. I think the build quality is very good and it represents excellent value for money.
I also like Startrite machines but wouldn't buy one as I dont see them as value for money compared to the Axminsters.
I also wouldnt be tempted to pay out on one of those 50 year old lumps of metal that some people rave about.
Nope, it would be the Axminster if I were buying.
Regards,Bill

Next time you're at Yandles, you could take a look at the larger saws on offer from SIP (they also have the BS500 there). I can't imagine it would be up to the same standard as the large Axminster (I think they went up in price recently...) but, you never know, might be worth a look. The fence seems to lock solidly. One of the major problems with the Record saws is that you cannot remove the rip fence easily with the blade in place! :roll:

I have one of those Axminster 4300s like Philly et al too. It's a stonking good machine have no doubt, and with a 3/4" M42 blade from Dragon saws it just glides through a full depth cut in Oak. It hasn't ever broken into a sweat at anything I've thrown at it so far.

However, I was fortunate enough to get mine secondhand and in excellent nick for a bargain price. New though I'm not sure I would have bought it over the Jet JBS16 if I'd had to pay even the pre-increased price, when the Jet was about £200 more (at Axminster anyway - DB Keighley in Leeds was selling them for a much more sensible price). I had a good look at the MkII version of the Jet last time I was down at Bobbing and was REALLY impressed, IMO much better designed and built than the 4300, and now that the 4300 has gone up in price, and the Jet hasn't, they are within £30 of each other. If you can live with the one difference in spec i.e. the 250mm maximum cut of the Jet vs. 300mmm from the 4300 then it's a no brainer - the Jet wins hands down.
Try and get somewhere you can have a hands on fiddle with both machines, I'm confident you'll see what I mean straight away.

Rob,

I also have the SWB4300 it was top value for money when I got mine a few years back. It is a good saw.

I also have a soft spot for the Hammer N4400, which I had a look at after buying my saw. It seemed very well made and had a very useful extension table accessory. Cutting height is also 300mm. The price of this machine has just been reduced to £899 which is less than the Axminster and Jet.

Hope this info is of interest.

Cheers, Tony

Escudo":1he78m4g said:
Rob,

I also have the SWB4300 it was top value for money when I got mine a few years back. It is a good saw.

I also have a soft spot for the Hammer N4400, which I had a look at after buying my saw. It seemed very well made and had a very useful extension table accessory. Cutting height is also 300mm. The price of this machine has just been reduced to £899 which is less than the Axminster and Jet.

Hope this info is of interest.

Cheers, Tony

Tony - yes, that's another one on my tuit list as well. As it happens, it got a rave review in F&C a while back - Rob

beejay":1ahpt72j said:
I also like Startrite machines but wouldn't buy one as I dont see them as value for money compared to the Axminsters.

They are a big leap up in quality, lovely machines, but the price premium is pretty insane and there's a lot of 'badge money' given that they are brand-engineered Italian machines. I managed to snag mine nearly new on Ebay for a whopping discount.

Myself, with this sort of budget right now, I'd get myself over the other side ASAP, and bite Dom's hand off.

Keep your eye on ebay for Startrites - I got my 351 for £200, that made sense to me!

Chris

Can anyone be more specific about their experiences with any of these bandsaws, particularly the Record BS500, the N4400, and the jet series- especially the mark 1 16+18.

I have an offer of a mark 1 jet 18 going for £700 in as new nick, just dont know which one of the above to go for. What are the differences between the mark1 and mark2 jet's?

such lovely decisions

Decklan :lol:

I was going to point out that there is a felder bandsaw for sale on the woodwork uk forum but i notice you are in france.

Actually I'm back in the uk for a short time, finishing some work at my folks house and busy buying tools. France just does not have the range that u.k has, and with the weak pound, it is cheaper for me to buy here and ship them back to my workshop in France.

I'll check out the other forum tho', thanks for that Old,

Decklan

I was at Axminster yesterday and agree with Mark, the Jet seems to be better built. It's a lovely machine.

Hmmm, I think I'm stuck between the Jet mk1 18, and the record BS500,

Decklan

i too am looking for advice on record power and others im about to spend about 10 grand on setting up shop half of that is on a oscor saw mill but the rest is so confusing record give a 5 year guarantee and there site looks good but is it ?? is there lathe the best ?whats the best router table /table saw/band saw /planer /thicknesser ect ect please help anyone thanks

Welcome to the forum - difficult to say what's the best make or combination of machines. I reckon you need to read the reviews and have a look at as much kit as you can 'in the metal' before you buy, better if you can get see the machine demonstrated at a show. I was tempted by one at Yandles last weekend which was an ex-demo machine but I couldn't persuade SWIMBO to dip into her bag for the CC :cry: :cry:...which bit of France are you in, it's a big place :wink: - Rob

thanks for the warm welcome
i wish i had the time to go to some of the shows but with the wife being preggers at the minute and not allowed to do much travel i'm stuck at home ie france region cher 18 near sanceer barges fantastic place with 6 acers of woods waiting to be transformed into something lovely i just dont want to make the mistake of buying the wrong kit so i'm hoping the vast knowledge base here will be of help cheers
lawrence

Back