Big Woodie...dun

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
Finished the Big Woodie at long last as I had to wait for a while for the 10mm glass for the sole jig to arrive. First pic shows the mouth adjustment arrangement, a collection of bolts and studding held together with a few locking nuts:

rtyttttyty.jpg

and when it's in place, the mouth can be closed up really tight, even closer than shown in the pic below:

wsdgrtrt.jpg

Here's a couple of shots of the finished plane:

ddtyyrteewewtrre.jpg

ssdferdfe.jpg

It will cut but the blade needs a little more work doing to it as it's a bit on the blunt side, needs a good honing. In use, the plane is as I wanted it, as it has the length to edge joint long boards but not the unwieldy beast that normal jointers tend to be, in fact when it's picked up it feels quite 'dainty' which surprised me. Finish is a couple of coats of matt Osmo Poly-X with some teak wax over the top - Rob

very nice and it seems to work well.

Last week I found an Ulmia blade for shoulder with chip breaker. I made my plane with a boxwood sliding mouth and I was really impressed about the feeling of that plane on the wood. I'm now starting to build a bench one now. Thanks for the good advice about mouth adjustement I'll use it!

bye

I made a similar one a few years back but I broke with tradition and moved the iron much further back. Does a great job on very thin material as the long sole ahead of the iron stops the wood from lifting up and breaking.
Mine doesn't look that good though! :oops:

thats impressive work, much better than i could do :D

i think one little detail would finish it off tho, a brass plaque or stamp with makers name on etc

Rob

Nice work.

Can I ask - at what point (ie length of work) would you use it instead of a normal (22") jointer?

Cheers

Karl

Big thanks to Martin the Woodkateer for the greenheart and to Pete (Newt) for machining the square brass insert plate - Rob

Karl wrote:
Can I ask - at what point (ie length of work) would you use it instead of a normal (22") jointer?
Karl - knew some one was going to ask that :) I 'spose the answer is that it could be used as an alternative to the Veritas jointer, or if the occasion arose where I was making a very long table top (say) it might be better to use BW rather than the Veritas. It's also quite nice to add to the growing plane collection :oops:

George N wrote:
What are the "vital statistics" of this beauty, length, weight etc
George - BW weighs in at 5.2lbs and is 710mm or 28" long in old money, blade is double iron from an old woodie, 44mm wide, set at 47.5deg or so

Philly wrote:
Missed the "shavings" shot, though
...just for you Phill :lol:

rrtyuutyu.jpg

...full length on this bit of mahogany, 3 thou thick - Rob

Latest posts

Back