Big Pencil Case _ Lots of pics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syntec4

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Needed to make the kids something to keep all the pencils, markers, brushes paper and other bits and bobs they use whilst drawing. My little lad who is 7 is having issues with concentrating on anything for more than 5 minutes, although he can sit and draw for hours on end. I wanted to encourage him to do this more than sitting on the playstation all them time, so I built this and filled it with new stuff for him to use. My daughter who is almost 3 is also realy enjoying anything arty so it will be good for her too.

First Time I have used Sketchup to get some ideas. I'm getting a little better but I think I'll be sticking with a pencil and paper for a while yet.

I wanted to use some oak that was originaly a church pew. I called into craft supplies the other day on my way home from Chesterfield doing a job and picked up a roll of Sticky baked felt type stuff for the liner.

The hinge is a piece of piano hinge cut down and the small knobs I found at B&Q in the bargain bin for £5 for a bag of 10. The lid stay was £3.50 from the local hardware store, I bought 2 but I think that would be a little overkill.

The lip for lifting up the top is a piece of brass 6mm tube. I ran the top along the router table with a 6mm round nose bit set to about 2.5mm deep. Then used a bit of epoxy to glue the tube in place.

official inspection time :D

Finish is French polish - easy to fix after it gets drawn on! I am pleased with the fit of the drawers. The gap between them is about 1mm, I think the Oak is very dry. If it starts to expand I'll trim a bit off with a block plane.

That's it. Thanks for looking!

Lee.

syntec4":1qn6yezo said:
First Time I have used Sketchup to get some ideas. I'm getting a little better but I think I'll be sticking with a pencil and paper for a while yet.

Looks like you've got plenty of pencils to be going on with Lee :D :lol: :lol:

Nice job, i like that although the felt inner is a little too bright for me

Very nice, Lee. Bet your children will get hours of fun from it - and will think all the more of it because Dad made it :wink:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

That's a marvelous piece of furniture, Lee - a lovely versatile design which has been very well executed.

Gill

Latest posts

Back