Big Elm

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn that was a big tree, did have to laugh when the lumberjack stopped to take a photo of the view

Wow, that bloke cutting really knew what he was doing. Great video. Thanks for posting.

Nice. I did a fair amount of crane work when I worked in new Zealand a few years back, it gets the old sphincter going that's for sure.

Terrific video - thanks for sharing it. Probably not the same species as European Elm, but same genus anyway. Some of our trees were extremely tall too and it was a very sad day when they all died.

John

Wow. Wonder if the guy who sharpens his chains could come and give me a lesson. Cutting dead straight so the cuts meet around that sort of circumference is impressive.

Great video, thanks for sharing Bern =D> =D>

Surprised there wasn't a queue of chairmakers waiting for some nice offcuts for seats :lol:

Regards Keith

Thanks for sharing that Bern, TBH working at that height wouldn't have bothered me (ex fireman) however chainsaws scare the $¥@& out of me, the guy on the rope makes it look so simple, but you would catch me doing that!

Baldhead

An amazing video of a well-planned and executed job.

When the last piece came down and was loaded I felt really sad - so many years of magnificence, just loaded into its big metal coffin.

Nature's tough, ain't it?

Wonder who was footing the bill for that. Wouldn't expect much change out of £4k or thereabouts. the biggest tree I was involved felling was an 80' high beech which was a little over 4' in diameter. We had to land it perfectly on a road as we would have smashed up a large children's playpark on one side and on the other dropped it up a steep embankment. It was rotten up the middle which made it tricky to fell. Fairly gets the adrenalin going. Took us 3 days to dismantle and shift the branches to a dump 400 yards away.

It looked like a street tree so I guess the local authority was footing the bill. Quite sad but local authorities would not spend that sort of cash without good reason so I'm guessing the tree had a problem, root decay possibly. It's some comfort to think that it would hopefully be milled up and used for furniture so actually the tree will still be around in some form for possibly another few hundred years

UK Elms could get to some impressive heights, all the ones I had experience with grew tall without the large branching seen in that video.

We had a whole hedgerow line-up of the size of the one seen here in the background, two or three came down in storms about 1947.
farm2-800.jpg

Don't know what the height was but only ever managed to climb within about 20 foot of the top of this one. (you can see my radio aerial disappearing above my location in this next shot.) I think I was 13-14 when I took this photo from about half way up the tree, much the same age as the young girl down by the house anyway.
There's a similar specimen in the distance beyond the horse chestnut tree on the right of the shot on a neighbouring farm. That Chestnut tree is still on google maps.
farm.jpg

Attachments

• farm2-800.jpg
    farm2-800.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 26
  • farm.jpg
    farm.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 26
Back