Big blue flash

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry - Somerset

Established Member
Reaction score
Happily working drilling holes on my bench drill. A large "pop" and big blue flash in my peripheral vision.

No circuit breakers open. Nervously tried the other workshop kit. Lathe working, extractor working, grinder working, bandsaw working. Suddenly twigged it might be the electric fire I use to provide a bit of initial warmth in the workshop/garage. Sure enough - cold.

Took it apart and tried to find the problem. Seems that the switch must have burnt out as even with my limited electrical talent it was clear that the live was constantly connected to both the neutral and earth. Fire was one of those with vents top/bottom and twin elements. I assume there may have been some build up of dust in the switch (not obvious or excessive) which caused the problem.

The fire was cheap so not too bothered. Can't even take it back as it was a Comet closing down offer. But if anyone has any suggestions for a fire to provide a couple of KW of heat for 20/30 mins when I start in the workshop ideas would be gratefully received.

Terry

oil fired rad is safest, but they do take a while to warm up - a fan heater will give instant heat but as stated, can burn dust if not cleaned regularly!

Steve

+1 for a fan heater. Just run it on cold for a few minutes before switching to heat to get rid of any dust - and if possible, store it in a cupboard away from dust.

Back