Beware Pet Plan

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les chicken

Established Member
Reaction score
My best friend and companion has been insured with Pet Plan since she was 4 months old, a springer spaniel and as usual a complete lunatic until she was about seven years old.
She was ten years old in June of this year and fortunately has had no major injuries or illnessess apart from minor scrapes etc a lunatic will get.
A couple of months ago she was diagnosed with athritis in the back legs and needs anti-inflammatory tablets and glugosamine supplements to keep her going. Which thankfully are working quite well. We put in our first claim to Pet Plan who paid up gracefully after we paid the excess of £90 for the treatment.
Now the interesting part.
Just received the renewal cost, £279 for the year with an excess of £100 + 20% of vets fees. I rang them to check that the cover for life as advertised meant that as her condition was a continuation of treatment that we would not have to pay any excess for the treatment of that condition.
WRONG their answer "you have to pay an excess on any treatment in a new insured year, even if it is a continuation of treatment of an existing condition, the part of continuation of treatment is for the same year not carried over. If you have a claim for a different treatment you have to pay the excess again".

I queried the statement that PetPlan make about "continued cover as long as you keep paying the policy" Their answer YES but you have to pay the excess each year.

Their other comment "Most other companies will not provide insurance for dogs over ten years old" My comment "We have been insured with you for nine years without a claim believing that you gave cover for life if a problem occurs". Answer "you do not get a no claim bonus.

The conversation went on for about twenty minutes with me quoting bits out of their rules, with counter claims from them. This ended with me stating that it was a big conn regarding their cover for life due to the small small print in their rules that would need a barrister to sort out.

Their answer "did I want to renew the policy or cancel it"

Our vets do not advise Pet Plan anymore either.

Beware of what cover you think you might be getting.

Les

I'm with Pet Plan and can honestly say when I've had cause to claim they've been first class.

They are one of the better pet insurance companies so beware when you go else where. Your dog has a pre existing condition so that may be excluded when you take out a policy with another company.

Not questioning whether PP are right or wrong to do this but it would be much more honest if they made this clear to those who purchase their package I feel.

Roy.

As an aside, my medical insurance (for humans!) with Cigna had the same excess policy - each policy year the first £100 had to be paid by me even for a continuing set of treatment. My anniversary date was July 1st so if I made a first claim in June and had a second referral etc in July I would have to pay the first £100 for each of them.

Dave

Hi Les
We have two dogs Cavalier King Charles one is 11 years old and the other is 1 year old,
when we insured the older one 11 years ago we went with Tesco insurance
and after a year he was diagnosed with Dry Eye syndrom which requires an application of eye cream each day for life which worked out at about £32 a month, Tesco said they would only pay for 1year then we were on our own as far as the cream was concerned,
So the policy was cancelled and we paid any vets bills over the last 10 years and on no occasion has the bill been more than the £90 we would have paid anyway,
Now the 1 year old has been with Petplan for a year at £34 a month with an excess of £90 per condition per year I am seriously thinking of canceling this policy and putting the money aside for future vets bills,

Be assured both dogs will get any treatment the require and will not suffer from lack of funds even if we have to remorgage the house but we will not be subject to these sharp practices

Cheers Nigel

We have an American type Boxer puppy that suffers from an under active thyroid, her medication costs about 25 pounds/yr plus twice yearly check ups at six pounds a time.
Our vet does not recommend any insurance company.

Roy.

Thanks for your replies.

Our dog would not go without any treatment she required regardless of cost. It annoyed me so much that what Pet Plan advertised was not as it would seem.

I felt that I would inform others of this "conn" as far as I am concerned.

Les

Back