Best way to prepare a burr

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TFrench

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to turning so bear with me! I've a mate who is a tree surgeon and I've come home to find a rather large burr on my doorstep (not sure on species yet). Am I best to turn it green to a rough shape or should I leave it to dry?

It has been my limited experience that wood turned green is slightly less likely to split than solid. If it is any size think about coring it. the smaller bowls are a bonus that are well worthwhile.

woodfarmer":31yzavsn said:
If it is any size think about coring it.
For someone who describes themselves as "new to turning" that might be a big ask.

A lot will depend on just how big the burr is and what variety of timber it is.
A first step, regardless, will be to seal the cut surfaces to try to control drying.

Burrs can be lovely, but also challenging to turn with respect to mounting and possibly very out of balance. If it's seriously big and near the capacity of the lathe it may be better to leave it to start drying off, then tackle it at a later date when you have more experience to make the best of it. Burrs aren't always easy to get or commercially can be expensive, so it would be shame to look back at a piece in a couple of years and wish you'd waited before tackling it.
Woodturning is often a long game with respect to material acquisition.

This is what I was worried about - it looks a very big chunk to be hanging off the end of my ML8! Obviously I can trim it to rough shape with the bandsaw. Cost isn't so much of an issue - it's free and he'll always be able to get me more. It's beech, he told me last night. I'll get a picture up in a bit.

the other thing to do is to book a lesson based around it- take it with you. you will be shown what to do and how to work it, and then next time, you will have knowledge and confidence to go solo.

I've trimmed it to a rough cylinder and wrapped it up in newspaper to dry. There's a bit of rot in it so I've cut that off. Hopefully it dries out ok!

Think about covering the cut surfaces in cheap PVA. Probably a better option than just relying on newspaper.
The slower it dries, the less likely it is to split.

Thanks, I'll try and do it tomorrow. Had my first proper attempt at bowl turning today - Just an old offcut of oak. Amazed at how good it looks! I can see how this stuff gets addictive. Chuck is on the shopping list now so I can get the inside hollowed out.

Rhossydd":13fqsbdj said:
woodfarmer":13fqsbdj said:
If it is any size think about coring it.
For someone who describes themselves as "new to turning" that might be a big ask.

A lot will depend on just how big the burr is and what variety of timber it is.
A first step, regardless, will be to seal the cut surfaces to try to control drying.

Burrs can be lovely, but also challenging to turn with respect to mounting and possibly very out of balance. If it's seriously big and near the capacity of the lathe it may be better to leave it to start drying off, then tackle it at a later date when you have more experience to make the best of it. Burrs aren't always easy to get or commercially can be expensive, so it would be shame to look back at a piece in a couple of years and wish you'd waited before tackling it.
Woodturning is often a long game with respect to material acquisition.

Sorry, i guess you are right. I just hate to see good wood wasted. Rot can sometimes be fixed by soaking with thin CA glue. mind you the glue can get expensive. I have a very spalted oak bowl that looks like marble but there is over £20 worth of glue in it.

Latest posts

Back