Best way to keep router cutters rust free.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnBrown

Established Member
Reaction score
What would anyone recommend as the best way to keep router cutters(and other tools for that matter) rust-free while stored in my shed? WD-40? Silica gel? Airtight boxes?
Any advice welcome!

John

Rapeseed oil. I get mine from Tesco look for yellow flowers on cooking oil bottles.

Pop a ToolGuard VCI in the box with them. it releases a vapour of corrosion inhibitor that settles on the tools and interferes with the rusting process. You can still open the box and use the bits as normal and as soon as you close it and put them away the protection starts building up again.

I sent some samples to the Imperial War Museum for them to test for protecting their collections. They made up identical sample pots with steel suspended in air directly over a small amount of water and added a ToolGuard to one of the pots.

Heres the results after 5 months:

water5months.jpg

And with the ToolGuard:

ToolGuard5months.jpg

Grinding One":33obwjcf said:
Keep them inside,never leave expensive bits outdoors....if you have to I would use wd40
When I retire and move to the USA, I'll keep everything inside. Have you the seen the size of British houses? There's barely enough room for the usual stuff...

I did some searching yesterday, and I've already ordered some VCI(from Mathew!). [Edit] Which have already been delivered!!![/Edit]

Thanks to everybody who replied.

John

Latest posts

Back