Best way to cut a thin slice in to a block of wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just use the narrowest saw blade you can get. I've got a 2.6mm on the table saw. Angle the groove slightly so the Polaroid is at a slight angle. Being a tad slack won't hurt one bit. Don't worry about faffing around trying to stop the groove. Smash a long length through the table saw, sand it up, then chop to 100mm lengths. Sand up the ends and splash on something that'll bring the grain out.

Coley

Wow, thanks everyone! Was hoping to maybe get a reply or two - wasn't expecting 2 pages of replies in just a few hours!

Sorry for the incorrect sizings - the blocks are 110mm in width not 100mm.

However, after reading the replies I'm inclined to agree with the suggestions of just slicing right across - think I was trying to be overly complicated for no reason really.

Again, thanks for the help - looking forward to getting stuck in on this board!

Cheers

RobsonWoodwork,

Glad to see you are heading towards simplicity of design.

"Perfection is only attained when nothing more can be removed."
-- Attrib. "Lao Tze" (with many variants in spelling).

I wish I could learn to adopt this approach early, instead of while recovering from trouble.

Frank.

You could use a a small piece of hacksaw blade 4-5 teeth wide attached to the end of a mortice gauge, like a mini kerfing saw or inlay saw and make it that way. slow but do-able

I like the sound of this, what type of wood are you using ?

Do you have a random orbital sander, plane, router ?

Back