Best time of year for TS purchase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yegap

Reaction score
Hi all,

I really want to get in to woodworking and am sure I need a table saw for the projects I intend on. I'm wanting to get something that is around £300 - so that puts me out of range of most saws new that people would be willing to recommend on this website (TS200/DW745 I'm thinking of).

So I know I can get stuff used, but I don't really know what I'm looking for.

Then just through general research I came across a thread on here from a couple of years ago where Axminster were selling their TS200-1 for £160 odd around the Christmas period.

I was just wondering if there are any other times of year, closer than Christmas, where I might be able to pick up something like a TS200-2 around the £300 mark?

Thanks.

Yegap":zvms3z5z said:
Hi all,

I really want to get in to woodworking and am sure I need a table saw for the projects I intend on. I'm wanting to get something that is around £300 - so that puts me out of range of most saws new that people would be willing to recommend on this website (TS200/DW745 I'm thinking of).

Then just through general research I came across a thread on here from a couple of years ago where Axminster were selling their TS200-1 for £160 odd around the Christmas period.

I was just wondering if there are any other times of year, closer than Christmas, where I might be able to pick up something like a TS200-2 around the £300 mark?

Thanks.
Hi, try camelcamelcamel.com for pricing history of items on primarily amazon and some other sites. You just need the web address or model of what you are looking for.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Hi Yegap,

I can't advise on time of year, but i would advise you to save your cash and get something that will exceed your current ambitions. I started woodworking about a year ago and used mainly hand tools. I bought a router because it was a "good deal", and I bought a BS250 bandsaw because I thought I would never exceed its capacity.

In the last 3 months I have replaced both as I have outgrown them. The router was a basic bosch 1/4" and replaced it with a trend t11, and I am awaiting delivery of a Sabre 350 bandsaw. So my advice would be not to look for a cheap time to buy but buy the right tool you think you would aspire to. There is an old adage, buy cheap, buy twice - wish i had followed my own advice.

If you haven't already, then i would also suggest going to a show or a dealer. Both will give you the chance to compare models side by side and consider what is going to give you the best value for your money and fit into your workspace - for example, when buying the bandsaw last week, i checked out all the RP models. Whilst the BS400 was very tempting, the space it takes up is just bigger than I had available, so went for the next model smaller.

A 3 phase Startrite 275 with sliding table could be got for that money
The motors on these are dual voltage so can be run with 13a plug with VFD

No other machine matches all the specs of the old Startrite, not without a huge step up in price
Light and small enough to get into a wee hatchback dismantled

I and others here have these running with 100 quid VFD's

It's hard but taking time for a bit of research and more time still waiting for that good deal to come along will pay off. There's always another of whatever it is. Unless you need it for business or an urgent job, don't rush to buy :)
For what it's worth, I find Christmas sales only ever seem to give 10% off slow moving stock that no one wants anyway. Agree with the others here that the best value is good used equipment and buy a better machine rather than the cheapest.

Apologies, I don't think I can quote you all due to having one post and perhaps some new account security in place, so I'll just reply by username:

Jamster21: Completely forgot about that - thanks. I'm tracking now.

fezman: Thanks for the advice. I think going to a show / shop would be worth doing so I'm going to have a look now.

Ttrees: TIL what a VFD is. Doesn't really look like a plug and play solution but something else to learn would not be the end of the world. I'll keep my eye on Ebay - thanks.

Sideways: Fair comments, thanks for your input.

So I guess in summary I'll keep an eye on eBay for some used equipemtn and perhaps try and further my budget a bit more.

Would anyone be able to advise any particular brands I should look out for? Kity, Elektra Beckum, Wadkin are some that I've read about on this forum, but it seems most Wadkins are out of budget and I think i'd be a bit intimidated by the set up & maintenance these sorts of machines require...

Yegap":3v3lvtl0 said:
Hi all,

Thanks.
That TS200 deal was a one off. Initially Unknown to everyone at the time, they were actually replacing it with the MK2 the months after.

I bought mine at the time the price started dipping in the November and paid about £220. By the new year they were down to £160 for a few weeks.

I recently sold mine for more than I paid new.

Unless they bring out the MK3 it is unlikely there will be significant deals. It is already the best value saw of its type out there even at £399.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Depending on what you would call plug and play I suppose...
If you want a decent sized single phase machine, It will most likely need a 16a supply (blue 3 pin plug)
A VFD is a device that mimics three phase electricity, but provides benefits like being able to cater to your supply...
Ie soft start ...if the lights dim, add another 2 seconds of ramp up time...

It would not be feesable for me to get an electrician out to this rented spot, so I have VFD's/inverters
instead.
My supply is weak, example the lights go dim when I start my 1hp pillar drill which is single phase (no load)
My bandsaw has 24" cast iron wheels and has no problem atall.
Likewise with the Startrite DS275 I have, no problems atall.
If I had single phase motors on these machines, it would blow the fuse on startup every time.

Most, if not probably all of those three phase Wadkins, have fixed (high voltage only) three phase motors
They're not able to run on 220/240 volts (domestic voltage)
This low voltage configuration is known as "Delta" or "triangle symbol"

On the Wadkins that have original motors, you will unfortunately only see 380/440 or similar high figure of voltage, stamped on the motor nameplate, sometimes accompanied be the Y symbol or "star" as its called (high voltage)

Choices that led me to get the 275 (three phase cause their cheaper and more suitable for me)
Dual voltage motor, Depth of cut, a slot in the table both sides of the blade for cross cut sled.
Tilting arbour and the blade tilts to the left which is important to not trap the timber
riving knife, sliding table on the DS models

These are very popular as they were used in many schools
Look table saw and tablesaw up in your search
Thats it mainly
Very easy to hook up one of these VFD's, like wire a plug easy.

Good luck

Tom

Attachments

• SAM_1914.JPG
    SAM_1914.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 167
Well just as an update.

I found a decent used Axminster TS-250-2 on eBay and decided to go ahead and purchase it given the wealth of information about the saw online and I figured it would be a decent starting point.

Now I just need to get some extraction sorted. Currently reading the sticky and having a little search around. Will do the enclosed cabinet mod with the Axminster big hood.

Would people recommend a 100mm extraction hose for the underside of the saw (connected to the hood), or direct connection to the tray encasing the saw blade (apologies I can't remember the correct terminology), as well as a separate extraction hose connected to the crown? Feeling a bit confused.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back