best solvent for making shellac?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetyreman

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been using isopropyl 99% alcohol so far but have heard that industrial methylated spirits is better or ethanol both of which can be bought on ebay, and read somewhere that they used 80% proof alcohol in the past,

also do you really need a license to use industrial meths?

just wondered on your thoughts on this subject and what is the best option? I buy the flakes and shake it up, the isoproply does take ages, usually over 24 hours before I can use it, my source is probably going to run out within 6 months so looking at a replacement.

Meths is 90% ethanol with methanol added to make it unfit for consumption, poisonous ☠️ Ethanol will incur duty so will be very expensive.

Ditto on Ollie78's input.
I always use a blonde shellac & the purple tint of meths has never had any impact on the colour of the finish.
It's also far cheaper than ethanol.(y)

Simon

I have been using isopropyl 99% alcohol so far but have heard that industrial methylated spirits is better or ethanol both of which can be bought on ebay, and read somewhere that they used 80% proof alcohol in the past,
I use 99% methyl alcohol as it’s available locally at about £1.00 a litre if I buy 8.5 litre cans. The only slight downside is that I need to use an organic filter mask when spraying, but even if I were using ethyl alcohol I would need to do the same as they are both poisonous the only difference being the amounts that do damage. YMMV.

I haven't done a lot of French polishing, but when I have, I've only used domestic meths with not problem - I thought it was the norm. Incidentally, to avoid any confusion for forum members from outside the UK, what we call 'methylated spirit' is widely termed 'denatured alcohol' in other parts of the world.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but where do you guys buy the shellac flakes from and what make?

I have just used meths. I have some absolute ethanol but have never seen any need to use it for shellac.

Same here. Or if I decide to do something different, finishing spirit. That is ethanol with a small amount of shellac added. Fiddes do that in 1 litre for about £18.

Wow that has shot up in price! I bought 5 litres quite a long time ago, and can't remember it being the current price of ~£75!!

Usually that is used for spiriting off at the end of French Polishing, but it can be used to dissolve flakes too.

Last edited:
These guys Hammerl GmbH & Co. KG Geigenlacke sell 99% ethanol (with 1% MEK). 1 litre for Euro 6.95.

The shipping to UK customers would likely be brutal. In addition to the shipping cost in the table below, there is a €17.50 Customs clearance charge and UK duties.

Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 10.46.16 AM.png

Back