Best Small Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think ByronBlack has just bought one of these and is awaiting the arrival of the delivery. Hopefully, he'll be able to respond in time with his thoughts and impressions. :)

Hi John,

Indeed I bought one of these axminster bandsaws, I received it yesterday, and first impressions are excellent, for the money it's well made, the table is flat and well machined.

The whole thing goes to gether well, the cabinet stand is a little fiddly to put together, but really not much of a bother. All the fittings and finish seem good for such a cheap tool.

This is my 6th bandsaw, and the smallest I've owned, and for the money I am super impressed. I had a SIP bandsaw and that was pretty ropey compared to this one.

In terms of it's cutting abilities, I've yet to check that out as I'm still waiting on some EPS bandsaw blades from workshop heaven, I would have expected them yesterday as they do next day delivery, but as yet they haven't turned up - they might be here today, so hopefully I'll be able to test it properly, as the blade supplied is as useful as a chocolate teapot.

The bandsaw blades from WH are shipped directly from EPS. I think my last ones were about 3 days from order.

Boz

Hi John,

My blades are currently either missing, or on their way to me at the moment, so I haven't cut anything in anger as of yet. I have since ordered two blades from axminster, so if the ones from EPS don't turn up, then I'll at least have some axminster ones to try out - they are due on thursday so will be b able to report back then.

Ok, the EPS blades turned up today.

And.... major disappointment. Now, I don't know whether the issues are down to the blades or the machine.

The EPS blade barely cuts any better than the crappy one supplied with the machine. In 1" stock, the motor stalls and the blade gets pushed off the tyre onto the back bearing. Only very very tiny amount of forward pressure can be applied during the cut, and this obviously means that the wood hardly moves - if at all.

Also, there was quite a lot of 'wobble' with the original blade, and I was hoping the new one would improve this, but not so.

So at the moment I'm not sure where to go with it. I have some more blades from axminster coming tomorrow, and I shall try one of those to rule out any potential problems with the original or the EPS blade.

If the performance is still as poor, then I may have to consider sending it back.

I realise that it's a small machine with a small motor, but still, it should be able to cut 1" stock without the motor stalling or the blade being forced onto the back bearing.

My initial thoughts are that the wheels themselves are not well balanced, and too small to have the fly-wheel effect of driving the blade through the wood. I also don't think the frame is up to tensioning the blades enough. Even though with the tensioning knob, it's pretty tight, the blades still don't seem tensioned enough on the wheels.

I had high hopes for this one, as it seemed really well made, but now I am not so sure. I would love to know how someone managed to cut 4" stock on one of these from the axminster review.

Colin, if you haven't done so already, buy Steve Maskery's DVDs!! :D

Are you sure the teeth are pointing the right way and that the blade isn't 'inside out'? You could also try cranking the tension up on the drive belt. Are you tensioning the blade by the saw's scale (!) or by your own method?

How wide are the blades you've ordered? You should be able to run a 1/2" blade with no problems on a 12in saw. Anything wider though, and you'll probably struggle (unless it's got a thin-kerf - which is where Tuff Saws usually come in! :wink:). If you are having trouble tensioning the blade then you could always try ordering the blades 5mm shorter than the specified blade length on the machine (eg. 2235mm where they quote 2240mm). If you're sure you could get a shorter blade on the wheels, in the first place! :wink: That would mean the blades require "less tension" (you wouldn't have to wind the mechanism up as far to get it singing).

OPJ":33lw6z5s said:
Colin, if you haven't done so already, buy Steve Maskery's DVDs!! :D

Are you sure the teeth are pointing the right way and that the blade isn't 'inside out'? You could also try cranking the tension up on the drive belt. Are you tensioning the blade by the saw's scale (!) or by your own method?

How wide are the blades you've ordered? You should be able to run a 1/2" blade with no problems on a 12in saw. Anything wider though, and you'll probably struggle (unless it's got a thin-kerf - which is where Tuff Saws usually come in! :wink:). If you are having trouble tensioning the blade then you could always try ordering the blades 5mm shorter than the specified blade length on the machine (eg. 2235mm where they quote 2240mm). If you're sure you could get a shorter blade on the wheels, in the first place! :wink: That would mean the blades require "less tension" (you wouldn't have to wind the mechanism up as far to get it singing).

Hi Olly,

Thanks for the pointers,

The blade is the correct way - this was one of the first things I checked. It's a 4tpi 1/4 inch, (I also have a 14tpi 3/8th for finer stuff). It was tricky to get on, so there is plenty of travel on the tensioning mechanism, and I tightened it pretty much as far I would dare go, the blade itself feels right. I'm wondering whether the actual chassis is bending preventing it from tensioning correctly - I'll check further tomorrow to see if I can re-tension it.

I'll check the drive belt, I hadn't thought about that, it would make sense, as the motor seems very prone to stalling when not under a great deal of pressure. (would it require more or less tension) I'm also going to give the guys at axminster a call to check the performance against their experience of it.

I'll be receiving the axminster blades (along with some other goodies) and will see how they go.

My demands on it are modest, so if I can get it to cut 2-3" I'll be happy, but otherwise, I can see bandsaw No. 7 on my shopping list ;-)

we've got a awbs2 at work , which is essentially the same thing , and it cuts one inch stock without a problem (and thats with the supplied blade), ive used it up to 2" in oak without much bother , but it really struggles in 4"

that said we did have to fettle it when it first arrived as none of the guides were set up right, the back one was set far to far back and the lateral ones were too far out , plus there was a burr on the tensioning thread which was stoping full tension being applied to the blade.

big soft moose":1s39dr1o said:
we've got a awbs2 at work , which is essentially the same thing , and it cuts one inch stock without a problem (and thats with the supplied blade), ive used it up to 2" in oak without much bother , but it really struggles in 4"

that said we did have to fettle it when it first arrived as none of the guides were set up right, the back one was set far to far back and the lateral ones were too far out , plus there was a burr on the tensioning thread which was stoping full tension being applied to the blade.

Thanks for the feedback moose - i'll check the tensioning thread in case there is an issue there.

Byron, that sounds awful. I thought I was pushing my luck using a 30 year old Burgess BK2 to saw 30mm oak, but it made it. The blade didn't even fall off the wheels once!

Ok, I've now tried the axminster blade, setup the guide, checked the co-planer of the wheels, adjusted the belt tension, checked the tensioner belt, and still it has the cutting power of an asthmatic pensioner. Here's a video showing me trying to cut some 1" ash, 45mm beech, and pathetically some 3/4 pine.

BB, that looks really really disappointing!

I'm another one with a very old Burgess 3 wheel bandsaw, and have been tempted to think about replacing it.

That Axi saw is the sort of thing I might well have gone for if you'd not taken the trouble to share your experience. Many thanks for that!

I've just been to check, and cutting some 1" ash the motor speed doesn't drop at all. The plate says it's 250W but the motor itself is a big ugly lump and seems very solid.

I'll be interested to see how you get on and what the reaction from Axminster is.

So guys if the little one is no good any recommendations of a saw this size or slightly larger with a more suitable sized motor?

Seen the video, I'm not an expert, Burgess BBS20 from new.
Have you tried freehand cutting, without the fence?
This would eliminate any chance of jamming between the fence and the saw blade.

HTH
xy

xy mosian":17pwbos9 said:
Seen the video, I'm not an expert, Burgess BBS20 from new.
Have you tried freehand cutting, without the fence?
This would eliminate any chance of jamming between the fence and the saw blade.

HTH
xy

xy - to be honest, it's rubbish whatever I try to do. I'm reasonably experienced with bandsaws, and this one is just poor. I'm talking to axminster today, hopefully they'll take it back and I can get my money refunded.

Edit: Just spoke to a nice lady at axminster, it's being picked up on monday, and being returned for a refund.

Byron, Sorry I didn't realise your experience. With this machine not good. Axminster have a good reputation, about these parts, and it's always a bit of a shock when people/businesses don't live up to our expectations. I do hope you find a suitable machine soon.
xy

Latest posts

Back