best sliding Mitre saw 2nd fixing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enduro1

Reaction score
Hi,

Im in the market for a sliding mitre saw. But undecided on which to go for, what with there being so may different makes and varieties out there. Ive spent countless hours researching them trying to find the best one to suit my requirements. but to be honest im no better off.

so... im looking for a mitre saw for mainly 2nd fixing and fine kitchen fitting etc. ive been looking at the bosch gcm 12sd. but ive read mixed reviews. some say the accuracy is not as good as they'd wanted. has anyone got this saw? though upon further research im not sure i need a saw this big. the main factor is accuracy. so a well known make is key. either makita, dewalt of bosch. ive used cheaper saws in the past but in in my opinion the old saying rings true every time. "you get what you pay for" my budget is between £250-450. could stretch more only if its worth the extra.

Im only a newbie here but from what ive seen im impressed with what ive seen so far. Hope you can help me out, or give me some advice. thanks in advance. :D

I have a Makita which is fine but bloody enormous and a pipper to carry about. I had a little go on one of those Bosch ones with the weird multi link thingy instead of the normal runners. I was converted, it was so smooth to plunge and slide compared to my (Quite old) Makita.

As soon as I can afford it I am getting one.

Ollie

I've got a Makita LS1013, it's large, heavy and expensive but it's also very accurate, robust and reliable. You should be able to get a really good condition second hand one within your budget. You won't regret it.

Ive got a Makita LS1013 and I wouldn't recommend it. I've got a little 10" Bosch which is really nice, light and has a really good handle for lugging it around, it is a little light on capacity for 2nd fix though. If I had the money I'd have a Kappex UG set for site stuff, Neil from The Little Woodshed has one that I have used a few times, it's nice to use and surprising easy to lug around.

The Makita LS1013 we had was horrible for fine work. A lot of people love this saw so maybe we were unlucky..
The Kapex is a really nice bit of kit for fine accurate work, it's also fairly light to lug on site. We have the kapex set up on a Dewalt stand with Festool support extension wings. The UG cart would have been nice but we already had the Dewalt stand and with a little bit of modification the wings sit on it really well..
Tim

Although many look at the make "evolution" as a budget brand, I recently purchased one to finish a kitchen as my lovely dewalt went walkies one afternoon. I'll tell you this, I am in love with the evolution saw... its the green "DIY" branded version which cost me €130 over here in Ireland so way less then £100 over there.... it was off square to start with but most carpenters know how to square up a fence to the blade so that was no issue for me.

Since purchasing I have used it to complete the kitchen moulding, completely second fix a house, make 2 intricate jewelry boxes and half a dozen picture frames.

I would highly recommend this for trade use or if looking for 110v the alternative "trade" range which are a tiny bit more expensive.

It fits into the boot of a car easy and is light to transport around the place the only downside is a max cut of 220mm but for 2nd fixing that is more then enough... anything bigger then that and a circular saw and a guide are what I use.

Hope this helps,
Steven.

Back