Best Router for a Router Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the argument you put forward was good, but for me it fails because it doesn't have above the bit table change, I have the Triton and that is an excellent function, if they could sort the sticky plunge and give it above the table height adjustment it would be perfect, but it isnt!

So I guess there is no such beast as the perfect rounter for a router table - just the one that suits your needs the best...

The smaller Triton does have above the table height adjustment facility. The winder handle is available with the guide bush kit, or you can make your own.
With the collet through table and auto collet lock, I think it's excellent for use in a table.

Simon.

True but the opening in the base is not as large as the Trend's so you are limited in the size out cutters you can use and since its only 1400W, even if it could take a large panel rasing cutter it's a bit underpowered to do so. Then there's the build quality. The Trend is better IMO with regards to the casing and castings but then the Triton is cheaper by quite a large margin so thats no big surprise. For power and performance the T11 is much more comparable with the larger Triton which again is cheaper than the Trend but doesn't have the through the table height adjust. I agree that the through the table bit change is a great feature but I'd still want to be able to hinge the top to clean out the vents etc. If you're going to do that anyway then the Trends lack of through the table adjustment becomes less of an issue.

Yes what Dom said, the smaller triton loses out as its not really a big enough machine to be used for all table operations.

I'm sure there is a brilliant all rounder out there, I know that the Festool OF2200 isnt it, it doesnt have above the table heigh adjustment.

Got a big triton from the dreaded B&Q for less than 100quid, a couple of years ago, so there was no competition on that score. I never had a problem with the rise and fall, which I find quite good. Gross adjustment via the large side knob and micro adjustment with the knob on the turret. I get along with it just fine, but you must remember to remove the long spring in the rise and fall for inverted use. It is possible to ruin the rack and pinion if you don't. I never remove the router from the table, so I took the spring out permanantly. The ability to chage the bits from above the table would be the main selling point for me. I think this is the best router for table use. the only downside is that the motor cooling fan reduces the efficiency of my fence's dust extraction. Sooner or later I will get around to providing the table with extraction from underneath as well, to solve that issue. Otherwise, I couldn't be happeir with it. previously I've used a Bosch 1300ACE and a big freud in a router table. The Bosch was OK but underpowered and I just didn't get on with the freud. Plunge routers are not ideal for router table use. The Triton is head and shoulders above the other set-ups, though is not ideal for handheld use. There are always compromises and these need to be taken into account.

Mike.

Another plus for the Triton is the guide bush system, its handy.

A down point, the fine adjust sometimes gets fully wound and you have to unwind again to use it. I really like mine, but its still not 100% perfect.

Chems":3225zf8e said:
Yes what Dom said, the smaller triton loses out as its not really a big enough machine to be used for all table operations.

I'm sure there is a brilliant all rounder out there, I know that the Festool OF2200 isnt it, it doesnt have above the table heigh adjustment.

Just thought I should mention that the 2200 does have above table adjustment if you use it in the CMS unit. Obviously no goo if you want to make your own table though. Sadly I have the older Basis table and have to grovel on the floor to adjust the router height.

http://www.festool.co.uk/SiteCollection ... htf_gb.pdf

Regards
Richard.

Thank, I didn't know that. That package has got to be the most complete routing package you can have with out having a spindle moulder!

Well thanks a lot to everyone for your replies and Dom for the brilliant video this has really provided me with some food for thought.

I will now need to just decide which one it is to be.

Thanks again Will :)

Hi all, Just come back from holiday and thought i'll have i look on the forum and can't believe this thread is still getting post.
I do agree with fellow woody's that dom's video is very good and put forward a good case for T11, so well done to Dom for that. But having said that the bit changing looks very arkward by means of flipping the top forward. A well put together router table though and looks like it can take plenty of punishment
If people are still confused take a look here

http://www.routertabledepot.com/buroforrotap.html

I know I know its an american website but look at the basic logic section. It all seems good advice to me and i know they go on about fixed bases vs plunge routers but thats other thing open for debate imho knowing that we have very few fixed base routers for sale in the country

Routermad

Of course this is true. The best solution would be a lift with a fixed based routers motor only installed but as you rightly say, availability in the UK is very limited. There's the Bosch and the new Draper and that's about it. Neither are the best the US fixed base router market has to offer. And again you're back to a very expensive combined bit of kit the router and motor. It's the compromise between quality, functionality and availability where I think the T11 wins although on all three counts it is admittedly just that, a compromise.

I agree with you on the point that a router lift of some kind is proberbly the best solution. This is why I use one. But not being a fan of the trend make i use a trusty freud 1900w attached to it and i get through the top bit change. As said before you use what works for you and my set up might suit one person but hated by another.
heres some pics
2010-10-04151413.jpg

2010-10-04151310.jpg

2010-10-04195347.jpg

As for whats the best router for a routertable I think its a debate that can go on and on

Routermad

Auzi rules it be good for the job in hand triton i got fooled by the B52 it was not good for purpose b52 was made in china

Latest posts

Back