Best ROS Sander?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulkane1

Established Member
Reaction score
Could someone give me a opinion ,on what is the best mid range Oribital Sander too buy?In the upper price range,what would you choose between a Mirka Ceros Sander or the Festool Rotex ,I know it's everyone personnel choice,but,I don't want to pay big money for a Sander in the upper range,if,there is a adequate model,in the mid -range models first of all,but,if I have to go to the higher price models,what would you recommened?

Kindly Paul

I covet the Mirka Ceros big time :) But currently I have the Metabo SXE 450 as above. It's done a ridiculous amount of work and is as strong as ever. Absolutely bombproof. I can't fault it at all. If you were doing a lot of work on vertical surfaces then I would definitely consider the Mirka as it will be a fair bit lighter I think, bar that Metabo all day.

Cheers _Dan.

Festool for me. Had an early Metabo 450 dual orbit; decent enough sander but bad ergonomics - tall, so prone to being a bit 'tippy' and quite heavy. Janky method of changing between orbits too, was always a bit hit and miss. Replaced it with a Festool ETS 150/5 that I still have, and is a far better machine for prolonged use IMHO - smooth, can run it all day without the numb/tingling finger problem - and bulletproof.

Mirka Deros is light and powerful - brushless motor and all that. New Festool, ETS EC is Festool's brushless offering, similar to the Mirka though not as light.

Festool Rotex is a different animal, not to be confused with regular RO sanders; very versatile, but compromised (mostly weight) so not quite the 'one sander to rule them all'; great machines though, if you have the need.

HTH Pete

Don't ask me! I have destroyed three sanders! Metabo 450 SXE bearings seized and melted the plastic casing. Two air palm sanders threw the veins out! I am on my third air palm sander and so far it's working well and also have a Festool ROS which is faultless. :oops:

+1 for the metabo 450 sxe. I have had mine for getting on 10 years and still love it. Heavy hobby use most weekends so nowhere near mailee's level.

James

Mar_mite":2rdwfute said:
I have a cheapo Erbauer .

I'm getting pleasantly surprised by Erbauer .
A younger friend is building up a tool kit and has bought some of their stuff, seems very good.

In the expensive range I'd go for a Mirka. I have the Ceros 650CV (150mm, 5mm orbit). It's advantages are size and weight as well as abilities and extraction. I also have a Festool ROS 90. Generally I use the Mirka and only use the Festool when the Mirka is too big or for edges and corners. The lightness over the Festool is a great advantage.

Latest posts

Back