Best Laminate for heavy traffic?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georget79

Established Member
Reaction score
I've posted several times about the natural floorboards which we had renewed and varnished and also the problems with draughts.

The natural floorboards are not looking great now after the heavy traffic of my mum's carers coming in every day and the equipment they use to transfer her. Knowing laminate will improve the insulation, and thinking it may with stand the heavy traffic better, I am now thinking about going ahead with this.

I've heard 12-15mm is best? Will it hold up better under the heavy traffic and maintain a good appearance?

The floorboards already have worn patches and scratches and I'm hoping to get laminate that will not wear as quick.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Look out for commercial grade laminate flooring it’s designed for high foot traffic so will have better wear characteristics though it will be more expensive than standard.

Given that amount of wear and damage imagine laminate won't fair much better.
It's not about its thickness that matters, it's the thickness of the laminate coating used.

"Laminate used for commercial flooring is optimized for high foot traffic and includes a thick, high-quality laminate wear layer that protects the underlying photographic layer. This makes most commercial laminate flooring resistant to dents and scratches."

Try searching for "Commercial Flooring Laminate "

Many high traffic commercial buildings including retail now install (LVT) vinyl which tends to have a much thicker wear layer than normal laminate flooring. Best known, but also premium priced, is Karndean and Amtico - there are other equally good cheaper alternatives. It is also completely impervious to water and other leaks.

Typical cost per sq m is on a par with proper solid wood laminate but in domestic premises will last decades.

When you say heavy tragic I’m assuming you have the carers coming in the maximum 4 times a day and by equipment you mean lifting her in and out of bed oxygen tanks etc . I think I’ve posted before on this issue assuming your the op with severe draughts coming through the gaps in the boards and possibly was going to fit a larger radiator etc . No expert here but can’t imagine your situation is too far from a large family with eg 4/5 kids , dogs , and all the bikes scooters roller blades that they come with. If money is not a concern then the commercial grade laminate is worth considering or the Karndean type flooring also mentioned. My concern is the “ heavy equipment “ you mention. Maybe define this a little more. A potential alternative is to cover the laminate area where most of the foot traffic and lifting occurs with a thin but strong vinyl ( not the cushioned type) similar to the old school Lino. This could be sacrificial and used just to protect the laminate. Not wishing to be rude or offensive in anyway but is your mom a larger lady . ( pls don’t be offended) I’m just trying to gauge your comment of heavy traffic/ equipment. Does this equipment have solid wheels or pneumatic rubber tyres for example that may leave track marks in something like karndean which may not be covered by any guarantee they offer . My mom is in a care home and she,s always been large but some of the residents look like a decent gust would blow them over ..

Given that amount of wear and damage imagine laminate won't fair much better.
It's not about its thickness that matters, it's the thickness of the laminate coating used.

"Laminate used for commercial flooring is optimized for high foot traffic and includes a thick, high-quality laminate wear layer that protects the underlying photographic layer. This makes most commercial laminate flooring resistant to dents and scratches."

Try searching for "Commercial Flooring Laminate "
Thanks, I've searched commercial grade laminate after previous comment and it seems I can get some for £19 per sqm so that's better than expected

When you say heavy tragic I’m assuming you have the carers coming in the maximum 4 times a day and by equipment you mean lifting her in and out of bed oxygen tanks etc . I think I’ve posted before on this issue assuming your the op with severe draughts coming through the gaps in the boards and possibly was going to fit a larger radiator etc . No expert here but can’t imagine your situation is too far from a large family with eg 4/5 kids , dogs , and all the bikes scooters roller blades that they come with. If money is not a concern then the commercial grade laminate is worth considering or the Karndean type flooring also mentioned. My concern is the “ heavy equipment “ you mention. Maybe define this a little more. A potential alternative is to cover the laminate area where most of the foot traffic and lifting occurs with a thin but strong vinyl ( not the cushioned type) similar to the old school Lino. This could be sacrificial and used just to protect the laminate. Not wishing to be rude or offensive in anyway but is your mom a larger lady . ( pls don’t be offended) I’m just trying to gauge your comment of heavy traffic/ equipment. Does this equipment have solid wheels or pneumatic rubber tyres for example that may leave track marks in something like karndean which may not be covered by any guarantee they offer . My mom is in a care home and she,s always been large but some of the residents look like a decent gust would blow them over ..
Hahaha no worries, no offense taken. Shes average weight so I think it's more the footfall and also maybe I didn't varnish well enough? Although I did put 3 coats down.

Below are photos of the machinery they use. Basically a hoist to transfer her from chair/bed into a mobile commode, which has rubbery wheels. Both have left track marks, and just generally the whole floor where most walking /transferring is done is gathering marks and scratches and noticeable wear. And it's been less than a year I think. The karndean seems a little expensive for us, but I have seen commercial grade laminate online for between £15 - £23 per sqm. Max we'd want to pay is probably £20.

Attachments

• 71vucEzqApL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
    71vucEzqApL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Smirthwaite-130-Mobile-Hoist-Main-Image-scaled.jpg
    Smirthwaite-130-Mobile-Hoist-Main-Image-scaled.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 0
Hahaha no worries, no offense taken. Shes average weight so I think it's more the footfall and also maybe I didn't varnish well enough? Although I did put 3 coats down.

Below are photos of the machinery they use. Basically a hoist to transfer her from chair/bed into a mobile commode, which has rubbery wheels. Both have left track marks, and just generally the whole floor where most walking /transferring is done is gathering marks and scratches and noticeable wear. And it's been less than a year I think. The karndean seems a little expensive for us, but I have seen commercial grade laminate online for between £15 - £23 per sqm. Max we'd want to pay is probably £20.
Tbh I’m not seeing anything to be too concerned about. A commercial grade laminate should be more than enough to cater for your needs . I’d be sure to follow maker’s instructions for fitting including letting it acclimatise in the room where it will be fitted and especially the expansion gap around the edges and once laid avoid mopping it, instead use one of these spray kits and a floor pad - also advise the carers to wipe up any spilt drinks etc straight away. Good luck

While your researching commercial laminate I'd also ask them about underlay, not sure if there is a matching commercial underlay prefered, but worth asking.

Word to the wise, when we got laminate (14mm mid range quality) installed, the installer (a local company) specifically said to protect the floor if we were using an office chair, as the laminate won't wear well with wheels rolling back and forth.

Hopefully not an issue with commercial grade product.
John

Back