Best Glue for Segmented Work

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic Perrin

Established Member
Reaction score
I have loads of various timbers in small sections such as 1" x 1" and want to have a try at some segmented turning.

I bet it's been asked before but what glue do you recommend.

Cheers

Vic

How long is a piece of string, the answer re-glue is much the same.
If open segments with room to move then anything from PVA upwards that bonds well.

If close coupled then you need to consider wood movement more with air moisture changes, PVA and similar will still hold but you may 'feel' the join after a while as the glue creeps to accommodate wood movement.

I personally use Cascamite as it does not creep so joints stay put, but wood moisture balance has to be better controlled if disasters are to be avoided with wood splitting rather than joint moving.
Experimenting is the best learning curve but can lead to frustration and disappointment.

You will see reference to grain orientation causing failures, that's never been my experience, wood moisture content has always been at the root of any of my problems.

Make sure your wood is drier than any expected home humidity level before final sizing and glue up, that way wood and glue joint will always be in compression one completed.

CA Glue is fine for gluing small bits and pieces but it can get brittle in time so personally I wouldn't use it for segmented work unless it is really small pieces.

Pete

Bodrighy":elozo1ek said:
CA Glue is fine for gluing small bits and pieces but it can get brittle in time so personally I wouldn't use it for segmented work unless it is really small pieces.

Pete

only use it for pens

I used Cascamite and aerolite glue when boatbuilding. I trust both but cascamite gives you a longer working time.

Back