Best finishing oil for pepper grinder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pure tung oil is a nice finish as well if you want to wait a long time for something to cure.

BLO, splash it on, rub it in, wipe off surplus, 20 seconds. Handleable immediately but will be quick to dry in a warm room.
I don't see the need for alternatives to linseed oil, for most wood purposes. Raw for more penetration but slower drying.

Latin name for the flax plant is Linum usitatissimum, which is presumably the origin of Linseed Oil in English

Latin name for the flax plant is Linum usitatissimum, which is presumably the origin of Linseed Oil in English
More likely that English is to a very large degree based upon Norman French...which was to a large degree based upon Latin.
Lots of French derived words co-exist with the already existing ( when the Norman conquest took place ) in English.
Anomalies like that exist throughout English..
Pig meat is pork ( french porc )
Sheep meat is mutton ( french mouton)
The plant is known in English as Flax however..not Lin. Point to a Lin seed ( space between the two words left deliberately ) in Britain..you'll be told that is a Flax seed...No one calls the plant a "Lin" plant..
Poppy seed oil is n't called papaver seed oil ( which it would be if the names of oils in English were derived from the Latin ) likewise Walnut oil etc etc..

Flax
flax | Etymology, origin and meaning of flax by etymonline
in Irish ( lot of Flax grown in Ireland..especially in the North..hence the Linen dependent businesses there )
https://www.focloir.ie/en/dictionary/ei/flax

Last edited:
I don't know if it was ( the industry is nowadays far from what it used to be ), it used to be run by English "owners" in NI. I wouldn't have thought that current production levels would support oil extraction.It may even be that they import part or all of the flax nowadays.France has some interesting modern uses of flax ..I went to a local "lin festival" a few years back at Quentin ( still have a bunch of dried plant stalks ) where various lin products were on display from various industries, also old lin process demos ,.from harvesting , seperating the fibres etc, treating the fibres , weaving on treadle loom, sewing etc .Quentin was the centre of the Breton lin industry. took a few thousand photos..videos etc..including a great local folk band ( Pao-Bran ) with bagpipes .

Amongst the modern products , lin fibres are used as a substitute ( organic ) for carbon fibres etc.. I have "high tech" textiles in lin..some use resin to make the kinds of things that would be using carbon fibre, lots of everyday items too ..I have a phone case ( hard protection type ..ultra light weight, far lighter than carbon fibre , same protection rating ) brands, organisations using and or promoting the use of lin etc are ..fimalin..and qualiflax..lintech..there are others..those are just the ones who's products I have that I can see from where I'm sitting typing this.

Latest posts

Back