Best cordless drill for £150?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Metabo.Bought one in Germany before they even came to this country and it's still going strong
Bought a new one three weeks ago because a Makita (noisy) I had let me down. Festool it ain't but still a lovely drill.

Gary H - Think about it, how often do you need to drill in masonry where a cordless is imperative? Very few times I would suspect, in which case a corded drill would be more powerful. Remember unless you are drilling into concrete a hand drill is just as easy. Masonry drills have a scraping action so the slower the speed the better. You can therefore buy a better quality drill for the same price as a hammer action drill.

this has been spoke about before. If your on site, drilling contrete day in - day out then the mtx range is great. pilot drilling and screwing no.6 screws kind of work then look at a smaller drill/driver. You'll be wasting your money on an over powered drill you don't need.

I bought a cheap SDS drill from screwfix for my concrete drilling for £35, including flat chisels too.

LyNx":3ctdwufp said:
this has been spoke about before. If your on site, drilling contrete day in - day out then the mtx range is great. pilot drilling and screwing no.6 screws kind of work then look at a smaller drill/driver. You'll be wasting your money on an over powered drill you don't need.

I bought a cheap SDS drill from screwfix for my concrete drilling for £35, including flat chisels too.

Good advice. Thats why I asked earlier if we could know specific tasks the drill would be used for. To be honest, 4 of the 8 cordless driver drills I've owned have had a hammer action and the closest they ever got to masonry was drilling 7mm holes in mortar joints for downspout brackets. Anything else, its SDS time. I don't even know why I got the one with hammer action when I got my latest cordless. I've used it (the hammer action) once and even though it's the new fandangled 18 volt lithium doohickey :) the hammer action is still rubbish.

1/2 a Festool? But seriously, I started some 10yrs ago with 9.6v stick Makitas because 9 out of 10 shopfitters seemed to use them. Still going strong, light in hand and enough power for most jobs. . Don't get much use now since we got the little Festool.....An 18v drill might be too big and clumsy? Incidentally, I hate T handle drill designs.

ivan":1el6rr8q said:
1/2 a Festool? But seriously, I started some 10yrs ago with 9.6v stick Makitas because 9 out of 10 shopfitters seemed to use them. Still going strong, light in hand and enough power for most jobs. . Don't get much use now since we got the little Festool.....An 18v drill might be too big and clumsy? Incidentally, I hate T handle drill designs.

This was the drill I had 13 years ago and still rate it as one of the best I've owned.
6095DWDE_lr.jpg

T handles weren't that common then, I think Makita had just released their first one. At the time, I disliked the T shape but now I think they're great. A total necessity for the heavier drills.

I'd go for a Ryobi - I've had a number of their cordless drills over the last 20 years and have given them a lot of abuse. I've currently got a couple of STP 1801's and reckon they are the donkeys conkers. Your budget will get you two - which gives you two drills, 4 18V batteries and two 30 min chargers. Having had two drills for a while I'd now be lost with just one - it saves a lot of time allowing you for instance to have one set up for drilling pilots and the other for putting in screws. They can easily handle 4" No10 screws into softwood without a pilot hole . . . and no I'm not on a commission and the link isn't to my shop :wink:

Steve

scooby":3fx1kpg7 said:
How do you find the battery life in the reciprocating saw?

The only time I ended up with one battery charging whilst the other was flat was when I was using a demolition blade to cut some breeze blocks to precise shape. Very heavy use like that does cause the battery to heat up a bit due to the rapid discharge - but we are talking about fifteen minutes of near-continuous heavy use here.

I got the cataloge from Its today and they are having an end of year sale :D

14v XRP Dewalt for £149.95 + vat
Makita 14v for 69.95 + vat ( this has a 10mm chuck and 2 1.3Ah batterys)

The sale is on for 4 days 27th-30th

If it helps :)

Latest posts

Back