Best cordless drill for £150?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary H

Established Member
Reaction score
Still trying to get the 'woodshack' watertight in
Hi all.

(Hope this hasn't been asked before. :oops: )

My cheapo B&D cordless seems to be running off centre. I think I may have overloaded it and now it 'wobbles' a bit under load. Anyway, TLOML has said she'll buy me a new one in January (bless her!!) and £150 (possibly slightly flexible on that) is the figure she said she'll pay, so who am I to argue? 8)

It'll be used for the usual tasks in the workshop, and DIY around the home/garden so I figure it's time to get one that'll last me a good few years.

Question is, which one? I've had a look around and the usual suspects are there - DeWally, Bosch, Makita, Metabo etc. but I'd rather ask you guys before shelling out her hard-earned :D. It's easier to base a purchase on recommendations, so lets have 'em folks! (Especially when the most I've spent on a drill is about 30 quid!!)

Ta muchly

Gary

Which? report, admittedly in Jan/Feb 2005, picked Ryobi CDI-1803.
A quick google shows it currently as low as £139.82.
Old fashioned, i.e. non lithium, 18v, so it may be a beast for weight.

Gary,

IIRC Ridgeons (Cambridge but presumably also March) are selling a decent Panasonic on special offer at the moment. Don't ask me for model numbers as I wasn't looking that hard due to owning one already. It also comes with a free DAB radio.

I think it would be well worth your while to at least give them a bell.

I was looking for my first cordless drill in 1985. I happened to be in a workshop, where they fitted out boats, buying stainless steel fittings. The shop was full of Makita cordless drills, apparently the only ones to stand up to the constant use. So I bought one and I still have it. Its not used every day but is used frequently.

PS it cost £109

Shultzy":2t3b7aqt said:
I was looking for my first cordless drill in 1985. I happened to be in a workshop, where they fitted out boats, buying stainless steel fittings. The shop was full of Makita cordless drills, apparently the only ones to stand up to the constant use. So I bought one and I still have it. Its not used every day but is used frequently.

PS it cost £109

Totally agree. I'm on my 4th Makita cordless, none of them broke. I kept selling them to upgrade to the newer model. I had a 7.2v, 9.6v then a 18v. I've currently got a newer 18v but I know for a fact the 3 I used to own are still working fine and being used. Good going as they all got daily use in their time. The 9.6v will be 12 years old now and the 7.2v god knows :shock:

£150 will get you a 14.4v makita with 3 batteries and 30 minute charger, along with some change to purchase anyother body. So two drills for your money.

Hi

Definateley makita! We use a cordless makita for metal and masonry most days and to say the least it has some hard work! The batterys seem to last for ages and they have a good feel about them. Spare batteries are easy to get hold of also!

Thats my oppinion anyhow!

Cheers

Dave
www.minisidewalk.co.uk

Same here Makita. I have a 7.2 and a 9.6 volt and I have had the 9.6 volt for almost fifteen years on the same batteries! Still going strong. :wink:

I have the 9.6 V Dewalt, it's a simple one, ie no hammer action but it has worked hard for at least 5 years, mostly for driving screws, and is still going strong on its original batteries.

I would certainly buy another.

Cheers
Mike

Gary H":z2u5pnws said:
Hi all.

(Hope this hasn't been asked before. :oops: )

on that) is the figure she said she'll pay, so who am I to argue? 8)

It'll be used for the usual tasks in the workshop, and DIY around the home/garden so I figure it's time to get one that'll last me a good few years.

Ta muchly

Gary

Any idea what its main tasks will be? ie. Does it need hammer action, will it be driving monster screws unpiloted (hence needing a bit of torque uumph). We can be more specific with recommendations that way.

Not sure of prices but after some experimentation would recommend without reservation the Makita range in 18v Lithium-ion. The batteries lack memory and are very quick to recharge, plus there is an ever-expanding range of other tools in this range which can be bought batteryless. Even working flat out, I cannot flatten one battery before the other is recharged and ready to go.

The only thing I would recommed is you order one with the maximum A/h rating in the supplied batteries. You may be tempted to economise but if you are going to use the batteries in other tools it is a false economy to skimp on battery life. I have two drills (enormously speeds the laying of wooden decks), a sabre saw and an angle grinder in this range and they all work splendidly. The angle grinder is especially useful if your car gets clamped...

WoodStoat":1xnw9g7w said:
The angle grinder is especially useful if your car gets clamped...

Just a small word of warning as you can be done for criminal damage ( Just dont get court :wink: ) but I would also recommend the Makita MXT range also :wink:

Its good to see plenty of Makita fans here. If I'm buying something new, Makita is always the first manufacturer I look at. All the joiners at the firm I used to work hated Makita for some reason :cry:

The lithium stuff is good but over the £150 budget. Definately worth looking into the mxt range as colin said.

WoodStoat":3rzez80q said:
Not sure of prices but after some experimentation would recommend without reservation the Makita range in 18v Lithium-ion. The batteries lack memory and are very quick to recharge, plus there is an ever-expanding range of other tools in this range which can be bought batteryless. Even working flat out, I cannot flatten one battery before the other is recharged and ready to go.

The only thing I would recommed is you order one with the maximum A/h rating in the supplied batteries. You may be tempted to economise but if you are going to use the batteries in other tools it is a false economy to skimp on battery life. I have two drills (enormously speeds the laying of wooden decks), a sabre saw and an angle grinder in this range and they all work splendidly. The angle grinder is especially useful if your car gets clamped...

How do you find the battery life in the reciprocating saw?

Thanks for all the help guys.

As for the tasks, scooby, it will be used for general workshop use ie. holes, pilot holes, driving screws etc. but also home DIY so may need the power for concrete, steel and the like.

I mainly want something dependable and reliable with good durability/battery life etc. so, the best that my budget will allow really.

Seems that Makita may be the way to go (which I had suspected) for performance and VFM. I asked the maintenance guys in work today and they use Makita drill/drivers day in day out. Can't fault 'em, apparently.

Hmm, the Li-Ion ones are a bit pricey, but i did find this fella :
http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/section/4724/sn/METBSZ12LITHIUM

or this :

http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/section/4727/sn/MAK8414DWFE
Is this one of the MXT range?
And I think NiMH batteries dont suffer from memory effects either. This is the case in regular batteries, anyway. Not sure if it applies to drills though.
If I can stretch another 30 quid...or hope for a January sale :wink: :D

Thanks again folks

Gary

Colin C":itf0omxi said:
scooby":itf0omxi said:
[

How do you find the battery life in the reciprocating saw?

Oh no here we go again :roll: :wink: :D

:lol: hahaha

Even my lust for cordless tools isn't strong enough for me to get a cordless reciprocating saw. I'd never find a use for it. Just want a bit of info to get an idea how the cordless circular saw battery life would be.

Honest :p

:D I'm a getting a reputation for being a Makita freak or something :oops: :D

Gary H":7yg0bg3b said:
Thanks for all the help guys.

As for the tasks, scooby, it will be used for general workshop use ie. holes, pilot holes, driving screws etc. but also home DIY so may need the power for concrete, steel and the like.

I mainly want something dependable and reliable with good durability/battery life etc. so, the best that my budget will allow really.

Seems that Makita may be the way to go (which I had suspected) for performance and VFM. I asked the maintenance guys in work today and they use Makita drill/drivers day in day out. Can't fault 'em, apparently.

Hmm, the Li-Ion ones are a bit pricey, but i did find this fella :
http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/section/4724/sn/METBSZ12LITHIUM

or this :

http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/section/4727/sn/MAK8414DWFE
Is this one of the MXT range?
And I think NiMH batteries dont suffer from memory effects either. This is the case in regular batteries, anyway. Not sure if it applies to drills though.
If I can stretch another 30 quid...or hope for a January sale :wink: :D

Thanks again folks

Gary

From what I understood, I thought it was only nickel cadmium (NiCd) batteries that suffered from memory effect. Nickel metal hydrate and Lithium ion don't as far as I know.
The two drills you listed look good, but if I were you I'd go bigger battery capacity, especially if you plan to use on masonry.
I had a 12 volt dewalt and a 14.4v Elu and found the 14.4v much better. This is the only time I've strayed from the Makita path when buying a drill :oops:

If you could maybe stretch another £30, then another £8 on top will get you this

http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/shopscr3835.html

Ooooooo....let's see now. If I can get some stuff onto ebay....
Although masonry work should be minimal - in the garden mainly. The walls in my house are like paper. A bradawl usually suffices for a rawlplug hole :shock:

Thanks scooby, I'll bear it in mind in the New Year

Gary

Back