Best CAD software for 2D / 3D design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the best laptop/computer for running CAD and other architectural programs? im a mac person but apparently CAD doesn't work on a mac. is there anyway that it could work on a mac or is there a better computer to look into. I would like to know the higher end models, as money is not an issue.

kourtney,

I don't know if you are a woodworker but welcome in any case.

There are better forums than this for answering your question in detail but as a Mac user myself, I can start you off.

Any program can be run on a Mac including Linux and Windows stuff using the excellent virtualisation software that now exists. I am currently using Parallels v5 to run a variety of Windows programs. I have also tried a whole host of CAD programs recenly, mostly focussing on Solid modellers like Solidworks, Solid Edge, Alibre, SharkFX, VaCad etc. I have also tried a few game type modellers such as 3DVia, Rhino etc. many of these will do a lot more than just 3D game modelling however.

They all run fine on the Mac in Windows under Parallels and some, like Rhino have Mac native versions either as Beta candidates like Rhino or as full blown programs.

In point of fact, for my needs, I use Sketchup mostly and Kerkythea if I need to render something. Both of these run natively and very well on the Mac.

The best native Mac CAD programme I know of is Vectorworks. We used it as it was much cheaper than Autocad and, compared to Autocad, was very easily learnt. It does 2D/3D and can export files as DXF/DWG, EPS, PICT, STL, SAT and IGS and some others. It is quite expensive at just over £1k but that's not much more than Turbocad Pro. Vectorworks did everything we needed for architectural work.

Many years ago I tried an early version of Turbocad and found that to be fairly easy to pick up. It did 3D and simple solid modelling but the PC I had then took all night to render the finished drawing. Not the fault of the software I just needed a much faster machine and I doubt that would be a problem with current machines.
Regards
Graham

Indeed, I should have mentioned Vectorworks, it is certainly a solid CAD program. I found its UI a little odd compared with others and I preferred a different approach to 3D but I considered it favourably when I tested it - they do a 30 day demo.

Are the pieces you're making so complicated that you can't write the G code yourself?
I spent 24 years working on CNC machines producing parts for jet engines, trains,JCB et etc and 99.9% of the time wrote the G code myself. I only ever used any computers were loads of calculations would have slowed me down or were I had to machine a complicated profile.

I haven't done any machining of wood but I would have thought all you do is hole drilling, and some milling? Am I wrong?

I used to use Autocad R14 back in my college days and since getting into woodwork recently I thought I'd try to get to grips with another CAD package.

A nice, small, easy to use and very cheap CAD product I came across and have been trialling is
http://www.deltacad.com/
The trial lasts 45 days and it's only $39.95 with immediate download if you like it enough.

I'm thinking of buying it when the trial runs out in a couple of days. very easy to use. Shame I don't have a printer but I've just installed the trial at work so something else to do at lunchtimes :)

Back