Best CAD software for 2D / 3D design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjb

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for a decent CAD program for designing model houses for CNC manufacture. I currently use Coreldraw to draw the individual parts in 2d which I then export to separate cnc software for production. The problem is that with Coreldraw there is no way to view the assembled parts in 3d view so I can't see the finished design until it has been made. I'm not familiar with CAD programs such as Turbocad and Autocad, but I was wondering if these would offer the functionality I'm looking for and how easy they are to learn to use. I know a lot of people here use Sketchup, but I don't think that would produce output compatible with my cnc software. I would be grateful for any advice on this subject.

Thanks,

Richard.

The file extensions are DXF, AI and EPS.

AutoCAD can certainly give you DXF files as can pretty much any other CAD program. The pro version of SketchUp will also give you DXF files natively while the free version will with a free plugin from Google. Depending on exactly what you want to draw, SketchUp might work for you and it is certainly useful for other things. The free version's price can't be beat and the learning curve is not so steep as AutoCAD. I would think you could get free trials of most any CAD application. Probably the best thing to do is give them a try.

I know what I'd do but that might not work out for you and I'm not going to push anyone.

Best are wayyyyyyy beyond your means I would imagine, Unigraphics (now Siemne's NX), Cadence, Pro Engineer etc. many tens of thousands of pounds, but do everything

Cheaper solutions are TurboCAD Pro and the one I use most often (NX is more than I need although I have access to it ) SolidEdge.

No matter what other people tell you, SketchUp is most definitely NOT a CAD package. I have played with versions since 4 and find it dreadfully limited and limiting. But it is free (even that is not a good enough reason to make me use it!)

I should look for TurboCAD and see how you get on as SolidEdge isn't cheap, although it is rather good

Thanks for the replies. I understand that many here favour sketchup, but I don't think it is widely used for producing cnc designs and I'm concerned that I could run into problems with compatability etc. I think a mainstream cad package would be a safer option. I have just downloaded a trial version of Turbocad 16 Deluxe which seems very reasonably priced and I understand is aimed at the hobby market. I'm not sure if this will meet my requirements or if I will need the far more expensive pro version. Looks like I'll have to spend some time figuring it out.

Thanks again,

Richard.

Richard, I think your best bet for advice would be to go to the dedicated CNC forums. I'm only aware of a couple of our members who own CNC machines and none have posted in this thread. You need to hear from woodworkers who have both CNC and CAD experience.

BTW, when I did some research into CNC a few years ago, Sketchup was indeed a viable option. But I tend to agree that perhaps TC or AC would be better.

We spent a lot on CAD and CAM software over the years. I even went on a weeks residential training course for Radan's CAD/CAM system.
Radan was reasonably good at the manufacturing end but the CAD was awful so we rejected it and bought AutoCad for the drawing stage and a G coding package (that was faster than Radan) to produce machine code from the autocad DXF's.
Autocad LT will do the drawings but that is not cheap either... unless you compare it to full autocad!

Whilst I could draw in 3D in autocad I rarely did. I drew each component on its own layer and simply drew the views of the assembly complete. Not as good as viewing in 3D but easy to see things lined up and take details from one part to the mating one. I was working with metal part not wood so 2D may not work so well for you.

never tried turbocad. I'd guess it is just a matter of getting past the learning stage. At the end of the day a DXF is a DXF. In business you need to get it right and done quickly. just a matter of balancing the cost of the 'tools' to the cost of the time taken. Good luck.

Again not the cheapest but I use http://www.bricsys.com. Again this is not the cheapest but it is a very good clone of Autocad and much cheaper. I use this every day to earn my living and it is rock solid.

Any program that works with Autocad should work with it, it has great import and export filters and is very well supported.

definitely worth a look

Regards

James

Thanks for all replies. My problem is that it's difficult to evaluate the different packages without spending a lot of time getting to know them. The ones I've looked at so far seem quite complicated at first impression and are probably far more advenced than I need ..as was mentioned previously ideally I need something I can get to grips with quickly so I can get on with running the business.

I currently use Vectric Cut2D for the G code, but I'm planning to upgrade to Vcarve Pro.

Thanks again,

Richard.

Richard,

All Vectric products are an excellent choice for CAD/CAM, I think some one else on the forum uses Vcarve Pro and I use Vectric Aspire, for the money there is nothing to touch them.

What you want to achieve could be done with Sketchup (Free version) and plug in called PhlatScripT , which will output G Code from the free version.

Have a look at http://www.phlatboyz.com/ . It is in its infancy but shows a lot of promise. This will give you some ideas without any cost other than a few hours of your time.

Richard,

Take a look at Rhinoceros. I'm beginning to believe it's one of the 3D modelling industries best kept secrets!. I've been designing injection moldings and mechanical assemblies with it for years.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. I have now tried several cad programs (free trial versions) and I found them all rather more complicated than expected compared to the 2d program I currently use. Weighing up the cost of these programs and the time required to become proficient in their use I have decided to stick with what I'm using for my cnc designs, for the time being at least. I would still like to create 3d views of my designs and I have come to the conclusion that Sketchup is probably the best solution for this. The main drawback I have found so far is that it appears that there is no way to print or export the finished designs in a large or good quality format using the free version. Is there any way to overcome this without upgrading to the pro version?

Thanks,

Richard.

The default export resolution was set to 72 pixels per inch which is ok on screen, but a bit low for printed output. I just found the 'options' button in the export section and was able to set to a higher resolution so problem solved. I think because I'm using the free version I was half expecting to run into some restriction or other necessitating an upgrade to the pro version.

Thanks,

Richard.

CAD is always intimidating when first looked into, and all the worthwhile programs are expensive, many overkill for furniture design; architects present a much bigger client base.

I have used FormZ since it first came out, with total satisfaction and have learnt with it as it developed. However, I haven't had need to use it for several years (being almost retired) and when I recently went back to it, I found that my memory was very deficient. It has developed so much beyond what I need that I wouldn't now recommend it for furniture design.

However, the producers have recognised that FormZ has outgrown its usefulness for many potential clients and they have produced a new [iece of software called Bonzai 3d visit http://www.bonzai3d.com/bonzai3d_news.html for the latest. Current price close to £400.

Richard,
Have a look at the Punch series of programs. There are six ranging from 2D up to 3D solids modelling with rendering. They are pretty inexpensive. Thy all share a similar user interface with each version adding a bit more, appropriate to its capabilities.

I am currently trying Viacad Pro (see here http://www.punchcad.com/full_store.html) and am very impressed. For a $250 package you get an easy to use solid modeller with automatic 2D drawing generation that can save in DWG, DXF formats plus a bunch more.

They all have free trials.

Back