Best adhesive

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elaine

Established Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations re which glue is best at bonding glass and wood together?
Cheers
Elaine

Epoxy I would think though if you wanted to allow some flexibility a contact one like Evostick?

Rod

Hi Elaine,
My wife does a lot of glass jewellery and glues things to glass. The best glue is 3M Scotchweld DP460. It isn't cheap but it's much better than the other two part epoxy glues like araldite etc. for sticking things to glass.

If you are sticking large pieces of glass to wood, bear in mind that wood moves so an immovable bond might result in cracked glass. In this case, you might want to use something more flexible like clear silicone.

Thanks again. Paul I will give it a go with the silicone first and see how it turns out.

Not tried wood to glass yet but Gorilla glue is very strong. It even sticks concrete.

I think gorilla glue is fantastic stuff. Not sure about wood and glass, it certainly doesn't dry clear. Foamy yellow would be my description.

Long time ago a mate of mine owned a Lada. The windows had metal bits stuck to the glass which invariably fell off. After much experimenting, I found this stuff to be the best for a non-messy fairly invisible bond.

DiscoStu":382zlznc said:
I think gorilla glue is fantastic stuff. Not sure about wood and glass, it certainly doesn't dry clear. Foamy yellow would be my description.

I use Gorilla glue for all of my bat repairs and whenever I splice in a handle. It is much better to use than regular PVA and I haven't had any problems with a repair yet (barring people not using their bat how it's supposed to bee used...)

The only thing you must do / remember with gorilla glue is that it must be for two touching surfaces ie it's not good in gaps or for gap filling and gluing.

ajmw89":1w5gwjym said:
I use Gorilla glue for all of my bat repairs and whenever I splice in a handle. It is much better to use than regular PVA and I haven't had any problems with a repair yet (barring people not using their bat how it's supposed to bee used...)
That must be in line for the record of how many species you can get into a sentence without realizing it.
(gorilla ;bat ;bee) :)

DiscoStu":1w5gwjym said:
The only thing you must do / remember with gorilla glue is that it must be for two touching surfaces ie it's not good in gaps or for gap filling and gluing.

I thought that Gorilla glue was gap filling. That's why it's so good for us poor soles that can't cut to a line. :)

I'll try and find you a video where it is tested, it's not great. It fails with only a few pounds of force unlike a non gap which is about 200lb. I'll try and dig out the video.

Back