Bending old mahogony.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plymouth pirate

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All.

I have just steamed a couple of strips approx 60 x 12mm for and hour with no noticeable difference in the pliability of the wood at the end.

I assume it is too old and too dry. Can anyone help with advice on the way I should be trying to do it. I'm looking at a 90 degree bend with approx a 300mm radius.

Thanks for your help.

John

Mahogany can be bent but like all things in life there is a knack to it

You need to soak the timber for a good week minimum
You will need to make extra lengths as some will break thats simply because of the type of wood that it is
Your steamer needs to be a bit better/hotter than butchering a wall paper stripper
Do not whatever else you do let the timber spring back as you are bending it and work as quickly as you can preferably with one person holding and another clamping..

Oak and Ash are much better suited to bending and will do so with a wall paper stripper type affair
HTH

Roger

edit I should also add that bending old Mahogany is harder than bending new ...dont know why I just know it is LOL

Thank you for your replies. Think I will go for trying some teak I have lying around and give that a go instead.

John

i dont think that teak will be much easier to bend than mahogany.

Soak the timber in hot water and fabric softner liquid. It will bend a little more easily. This is how I treat thin guitar sides prior to bending.

Back