Bend in Fence

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geofract

Established Member
Reaction score
It seems there is a slight bend in the fence on my table saw, probably 0.3mm - according to my dial gauge. Though I measured the low profile flip over fence, and that appears to be bang on. The fence is 63cm long - the bend appears to be pretty central.

When I received the saw, it was all loosely/poorly packed, with the saw pretty much free to roll around amongst all the other parts, including the fence. I had visually checked it, and thought it was ok. It was only today when I got the dial gauge I could check it.

It's a Dewalt DW745. I received it last week, and have only made two cuts with it. I have already requested a new riving knife from Dewalt, as that was bent. I am tempted to request a new fence too! Perhaps my expectations are too high though, or I am just being too anal about this.

On a more positive note, the saw aligns to mitre slots perfectly, hooray :) Well the fence does too, just with a slight bend.

I wonder how this will affect cutting a long panel. I'll be pushing the panel against the fence during the cut. Meanwhile the side of the panel left of the blade is being dragged closer to the blade. The blade plate is 2mm, Kerf is 3mm, RK thickness 2.3mm - little room for error perhaps?

In your position I would log the issue with the supplier and make sure you record who, when etc. That way at least you can go back in the future and it is not a "new" problem. If you can live with it then nothing more than 1 or 2 phone calls was wasted.

Have you used the saw yet, or just measured and checked it?
When ripping, the fence should end up just past the gullet, so you possibly will not experiance problems on .03mm
But as you say panel cutting may be a different matter.
Theory and practice can well be in conflict, so I would try and cut a panel, perhaps oversize, and check the end result, before buying another fence,
HTH, Regards Rodders

Shim it, just back of the fence locking knobs and insert pieces of thin card until it registers true. Assuming the the bow is concave.

0.3mm doesnt seem a lot it could be within manufacturing tolerance, if you order another that could be more out!

Could it be flattened? I once flattened a surface planer cast table with a belt sander as it was bowed. Took a long time but worth it in the end.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll be sending across photos and info to DeWalt today, and will see how they respond. On futher investigation it does appear the upper edge of the fence is true, just the lower edge is bent (concaved) -I think this suggests it was knocked in transit.

Silas, I used the methods outlined by Mr. Wandel - link here https://woodgears.ca/delta_saw/alignment.html - he doesn't align the fence, but you can apply the method of clamping a dial gauge to the mitre fence and measure the rip fence in the same way.

I've just googled you're Dewalt DW745, And noticed the fence is an extrusion alloy item.
Several previous poster's have mentioned that this type of fence is prone to being inaccurate when they have been "fettling" a new saw, or planer, as you are doing.
When Googling, I ended up on utube "Toolstation". Have you checked the fence "Backer"?
As you are saying the fence in the flat position is OK, I would expect the fence backer to be within tolerance.
Have you tried the fence with a straight edge?
If it is bent, as you say, perhaps the nice stockist will send you a (straight) replacement.
Keep us posted on you're experiences with any suppliers, all interesting stuff!
HTH Regards Rodders

The answer is, whilst there is a small concave deflection in the fence, it causes no problem what so ever! I am being far too fastidious it would appear. Oh well, I do work in a detail orientated industry, so I guess that shows.

The saw has a rack an pinion setup, which makes sure the fence is always aligned at the top and bottom of the table. This does seem to work very well. I only have to remember to 'back-up' the fence when setting it, otherwise there can be a slight inaccuracy. So far it all seems to cut very true, which is just what we like :)

Shame the saw is so much cheaper in the US though, blimey, they get a bargain!

Back