Bench vises

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pompon44

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm contemplating the idea to build my own workbench. Well, actually, I'm currently drawing the plan for it...
I guess I'll go for a traditional bench with wooden vises (both tail and should or leg, don't know yet), because it looks cheaper and should be a good occasion to learn new skills (I'm an almost complete beginner, so could replace "new" by "some" ;-) ). And also because there are plans for such benches in Landis' and Sam Allen's books, too.

Now, trying to shop for the bench vises, I've came across those :

http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/1/prod ... -22374.htm
http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/2/prod ... -22373.htm

and

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx ... at=1,41659
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx ... at=1,41659

The prices are quite different for what seems to be comparable vises. I'm obviously missing something here. Are the qualities really different ? Any experience with any of those vises ?

Thanks,

Hi pompon44

Dieter Schmid do these too.

I'm afraid I've no experience of any of them so can't really comment but I would guess that it's another case of "you get what you pay for".

Cheers

I can speak from experience and the Veritas twin screw vice is very versatile and useful. I mounted it across the end of my bench when I built it, which gives me 28 inches width, or roughly 68 CM. With that I can clamp boards of a metre or less and joint them I can sharpen saws in it and it holds all manner of wood. The price shown on the German site is much higher than what I paid, but then I am in the same country as Lee Valley.

I guess that type of vise makes it a joiner's bench rather than a cabinet makers bench but it works for me. You are right though building a bench teaches you a lot, it was one of the most enjoyable things I ever did.

James

i have one of those from axminster - that is, it is sitting on my workshop floor (somewhere) - i decided against this type of vice eventually and went with the standard front vice (a fine heavy duty one fron dieter schmidt) - my next bench will have this type of vice! The vice-screw that i got from axminster looks substantial enough - but like others have said you generally do get what you paid for. What kind of bench are you building? (not really a hand tools thread this?)

Sean

Mittlefehldt : do you say that you're next bench will have vise screws or again a front vise (sorry, but sometimes I don't clearly understand english...)

sean_in_limerick : as stated in my original post, I plan on a traditional bench, a la Frank Klauz. I plan to use it mainly for hand tools (and also to build it using hand tools ... er ... only, if possible), and that's why I posted here. If that's not the relevant forum, please tell me.

Regards,

Many would argue that the bench is ultimate hand tool (ie. non-powertool) in the workshop, so I would think this forum is just fine (it is for me anyway).

This is what I'm bolting on the front of my new bench it cost me £10 (not started cutting yet, but a big stack of beech is sitting in the workshop waiting)
208023680_e09ab47bc1.jpg

and the end vice was delivered today, it's the 3rd from the left in this pic

G0151.jpg

pompon44":356g9u2f said:
Mittlefehldt : do you say that you're next bench will have vise screws or again a front vise (sorry, but sometimes I don't clearly understand english...)

sean_in_limerick : as stated in my original post, I plan on a traditional bench, a la Frank Klauz. I plan to use it mainly for hand tools (and also to build it using hand tools ... er ... only, if possible), and that's why I posted here. If that's not the relevant forum, please tell me.

Regards,

Sorry The vise I mentioined is across the end of the bench, the full width, on the front left corner I have a single screw vise with a maple jaw, the same as the second from the right in the picture in Lord Nibbo's post.

The end vise has two screws, the veritas twin screw vise, I chose not to build a traditional cabinet makers vise as it would have been beyond my skills at the time. If you would like a picture I could send you an email with an attachement, just send me a pm with your email address.

Sean I did all my bench with hand tools only getting some three inch White Ash planed for me to save time.

James

I used both of the Axminster ones in my bench (based on the Klaus style bench from Landis' book), and have no problem in recommending them.

im with nick, use an axminster one .second from left in pic around £11 i think

Hi,

Thanks for the inputs. So I'd guess I'll proceed with Axminter's bench screws, as soon as I have finalized my bench plan...

Regards,

Latest posts

Back