Bench top planers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No skills

Established Member
Reaction score
Greetings one and all,

Does anybody know if any of the small bench top planers have a fairly quiet induction motor?? or am I doomed to a noisy brush motored horror...

Of the ones I've seen (SIP, Rexon), they all have noisy brush motors. Not quite as loud as one of the benchtop thicknessers but it's certainly not an induction model.

I do have a cheapo thicknesser hidden away somewhere, its got the standard bastid noisy brush motor. Im after an actual planer/jointer (if thats the correct term??) like the first link but bench top or small footprint at least.

Didnt think to look for Elektra Beckum, ironicly I had been looking at the Metabo one as a 'save up for' alternative - as its only for hobby ATM and the odd very rare paying job I was hoping to find something smaller but good quality (if you see what I mean).

Yeah I know... :( Unless somebody crops up with a small induction model I'll have to keep saving for a while. Funny thing is I wouldnt of minded the noise a couple of years ago, since moving to our new yard (which is noisy as pineapple all day) I just cant hack using very noisy tools for any length of time in my own time. Strange eh.

I'm like that now aswell. I hate using my axi thicknesser. I am considering trying to get a planer/ thicknesser. But i really like the axi planer ( older version of what i linked to). Great for the money, had it 7/8 years now and it's never missed a beat :)

Noise is really important, for the neighbours, for your ears, and because it disrupts concentration. I think it is more important on a planer than a thicknesser, because using a planer requires more skill and thought.

Nick

You need a Wallace type to stick an induction motor on the thicknesser :) He has a Wadkin planer for sale as it happens but too far for me I'm afraid.

@ Nick

Some good points there - at work noise and concentration go hand in hand for me (cut panels out of a shipping container with a 9" grinder is a good example :shock: ) so thats not much of an issue, but of course the neighbours are...

Wallace has a little 6" wadkin in the for sale section, that's far better than any of the new equipment around that budget. I've got one, it's a small but fantastically built machine, very accurate and smooth.

Back