Bench/Table Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisray

Reaction score
Hello all,
Newbie here, I have been advised by someone to come and seek some friendly advice..

I'm a newbie to woodworking, only managed to produce a sterdy workbench in my garage and some speaker boxes for my car yonks ago. Time is passing by and I'm probably rushing ahead of myself into trying to build a fitted wardrobe. Though intentionally it seems simple enough and I think it should all go together with enough logic. Or so I hope.

Anyway.. I have found some 95 x 45 mm pine wood, at 3m long in my garage and thus hope to use this for the wardrobe. Only problem, it seems slightly to thick..so would like to cut it in half, approx will be 47 x 45 mm Though I haven't taken into account the width of the blade, perhaps more like 45 x 45.

In short, I was thinking a table saw, then saw (excuse the pun) bandsaw's then someone advised a circular saw.. though through my travels of thought and advicements I believe the bench/table saw is probably my best bet.

Which one? As I probably will be using the saw for a few projects a year.. my mother now wants some cupboards and shelves made.. £150 or less seems a adquate sum of money.

Ryobi 1525 10"
http://tooltray.com/ViewProduct.asp?i=153602
Clarke CTS10D 10" http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.as ... 2124&g=116
Rexon BT2504AE 10" Table Saw http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro ... 7&ts=54499

Anyone brought any of these?

Thanx in advance for any advice.

Hi Chris
Welcome to the forum!
Tablesaws at this end of the market are a bit compromised. But they are useful for learning on and getting your feet wet. Have a search of the forum on table saws and you'll find a huge amount of info.
Best regards
Philly :D

Hi Chris,and welcome :D

Whereabouts are you ? As 1)there may be a forum member near with a tablesaw you could go and look at/try out or 2)may machine the timber up for you.

Good luck.

Andrew

PowerTool":gr3xyjzk said:
Hi Chris,and welcome :D

Whereabouts are you ? As 1)there may be a forum member near with a tablesaw you could go and look at/try out or 2)may machine the timber up for you.

Good luck.

Andrew

Hello Powertool

Thankyou for the welcome :). I'm in Essex.

What kind of budget would I need for a decent tablesaw?

chrisray":2xpgwknj said:
What kind of budget would I need for a decent tablesaw?

Oh,sadly the skys the limit :lol:

You can get tabletop saws for under £100,but there is a decent range of freestanding tablesaws for around the £600 mark.Or you can easily spend £1,000+..
First thing to consider is how much space you have available,and how much money you have to go with it.
It's a subject with loads of information on here (and also loads of different opinions :wink: )

Andrew

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum. :D

If your prepared to step over the boarder into Suffolk you can come to my shop and try out some old iron in the shape of my Wadkin.

Or pop over the river to Kent,and have a look round Axminster's place at Bobbing. (Although that might give you too much choice.. :wink: )

Andrew

DaveL":255oaoib said:
Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum. :D

If your prepared to step over the boarder into Suffolk you can come to my shop and try out some old iron in the shape of my Wadkin.

Wow Dave, that one looks interesting, quite old tho. Sturdy I bet.

In response to Dave's post, are there many good deals for old iron? Though I had a quick look on ebay and found only ones for £400-600.. slightly above budget.

I've read that the tablesaw is the first of many powertools people buy. Though considering it may get a few uses around the year..and I'm a student still, living at home. I'll have to stick to a tight budget (unfortunately).

I've seen this one

Whats the difference between Jet and Ryobi..is there any.. or are they basically the same underneath but different brand names..

Hi Chris

the second link doesn't go anywhere and so can't add much value to your last question.

If you are interested in the ETS1525 then mine is for sale. It's a good no nonsense saw..reason for selling is that I've got a slightly larger one.

It's annoying, very time .. my budget increases ten fold.. but no, ok I'm going to seriously try and stick with approx £100 mark....ish.

How much are you asking for yours Roger?

Though I have also found this one

http://diytools.com/store/detail.asp?productid=65524

Charnwood CHW625 12" Contractors Table Saw.. with an induction motor.. Quieter apparently.. and more robust.. is that true?

And the Ryobi 1825.. which is a little over budget but has an emergency stop and seperate blade height and bevel handles...oooh.. is it worth the extra????

I am seriously going to get some coffee soon.. I didn't think buying a table saw could become picky.

..ah, and the second link was to an Ryobi 1525.. or something similiar, the point was tho, the american version looks better and is cheaper..

Roger Sinden":bdo89l4s said:
Hi Chris

the second link doesn't go anywhere and so can't add much value to your last question.

If you are interested in the ETS1525 then mine is for sale. It's a good no nonsense saw..reason for selling is that I've got a slightly larger one.

I just have one more question.. on the Ryobi ETS1525.. can you change the height adjustment separately to the angle... or does one upset the other?

Can you email me any photo's and your phone number? [email protected]

Thanx

Hi Chris and welcome (belatedly! :oops: )

Glad to see you made it over here

Scrit

chrisray":1c7j3f2j said:
I just have one more question.. on the Ryobi ETS1525.. can you change the height adjustment separately to the angle... or does one upset the other?

Can you email me any photo's and your phone number? [email protected]

Thanx

Yes..there are two separate controls. I don't know of any saw that links the two together (as that is what you would need I think to keep the height constant while adjusting the angle...Scrit will correct me, I'm sure :wink: ). But adjusting them is very straightforward and so I'm not sure what the benefit would be?

Have emailed you.
Roger

Back