Bench Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMAC

Reaction score
I have a Stanley 4.5 (600mm) Plane.
The sole plate has become slightly pitted. I have used a 150 grit abrasive paper to clean it, but this is taking a very long time to produce results.
I have previously used an 80 grit powder to true up an oil stone. Can I safely use this grit on the sole plate?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

JMAC

I don't think you need to worry about a slight bit of pitting. Provided the sole is flat, pitting shouldn't affect performance.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

You may find it is not necessary to remove all the pitting, if the sole still performs its function as a registration suface the odd dimple will have no significant effect on the performance of the tool.

If you do need to take metal off I'd start off with something coarser than that, perhaps 80 grit, then work your way down to 150 once you have removed the problem.

Hi JMAC.
After finding a 07 plane base in the skip, i sent it to a engineering place to get it skimmed flat. Went to pick it up and it looked kind of o.k. Could see machine marks. When i got it back the workshop, i put it on a flat surface and it rocked just as bad as before- about a mil off in one corner. I pulled off a long length of sandpaper (80grit) and clamped each end to a machine bed. I was very surprised how effective it was at flattening it. Trick is, not to be a tight git with the sandpaper.When its sliding real easy, its time for a new piece of paper.
Hindsight i'd have done this in the first place. Not chucked my money down the drain :roll:

Simon

Sorry for Hijacking your thread, but looking on the http://www.oldtoolstore.co.uk/ website it seems that Ray Iles is offering a set of 11 Bevel edged chisels for the reasonable sum of £165, does anyone know anything about these?

One more question, will his slightly thicker replacement Iorns fit straight into a satandard Stanley No 4 1/2 and No 6?

The chisels are probably Ashley Iles - which have a good reputation (same family).

Give Ray a ring he his always very helpful - he also responds quicker to orders by phone as well.

On the plane sole lapping front, another method is to using Silicon Carbide grit on a piece of reasonably thick acrylic. The plastic helps to hold the grit and speed up the abrasion?

Rod

I don't think Ray has his bevel edge chisels finish ground to quite the same standards, Barry has to deal with fussy old so and so's like me and Joel who insist on hollow ground backs and wafer thin sides, but if you don't mind putting in a bit of effort and prefer London pattern handles they represent very good value for money.

Speakimg of Iles chisels when will the next batch of ¾" dovetail chisels be arriving Mathew?

Hi,

I have a Record 4 1/2 with a pits in sole and I don't care about them! the wood won't know they are there, as long as it is flat it will work.

If you find the pits rusting put super glue in them.

Pete

Paul Chapman":3031aloy said:
I don't think you need to worry about a slight bit of pitting. Provided the sole is flat, pitting shouldn't affect performance.

Paul

+1

newt":30c0c72c said:
Paul Chapman":30c0c72c said:

Paul

+1

Some planes were even made with corrugations in the sole! So, a tiny amount of pitting won't hurt. :D

John

Many thanks to everyone who responded to my problem and my apologies for not replying sooner - having been rushed to hospital --- no not a workshop accident, I didn't have access to a computer.

JMAC.

Latest posts

Back