Bench or pillar drill..?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikNak

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning guys (& gals).....

I'm after buying a drill for my shed/workshop. Doesn't need to be anything too 'oh-my-god-you-lucky-pipper' sort of thing, but i want it to last more than the warranty period if you get my drift.

Was watching a floor standing Jet on ebay, and like a plonker i umm'd & ahh'd just a bit too long and it was snapped up (buy-it-now)

So here's a few questions......

Bench or Floor standing...
Make or makes to consider
(Makes to avoid...!!)
Radial Arm...? worth it or just a gimmick..?

up to £200....

Cheers in advance

Nick

oh..... the Jet on ebay..? Axminster price approx £320 + a bit of vacuum hose + a table top jig thingy £50 (again from Ax).... sold for £150 buy-it-now.......

Don't know if you intend to be using this in a pro capacity, but Lidl were selling a "Bench Pillar Drill" for £49.99 recently.
mack

I have a used Axminster floor standing drill for sale

IF its a used one you are after ?

Let me know and I will sort some photos and the model number ,

:wink:

Thanks very muchly Blister.... yes, at this stage i'm willing to look at all sorts.

Nick

Hi, I bought a second hand floor standing Axminster a few years ago and it has been brilliant. Probably 3 or 4 times a year I need the extra height that a floor one gives but then it is essential. The only alternative is if you have a long bed lathe.
For example, trying to drill a 1/2 inch hole down a 3 foot long, 1 inch diameter piece of dowel, just can't be done on a bench machine or my 12 inch lathe.

I'd recommend a good floor machine

David

Have got a Scheppach rab t13x for sale if it meets your requirements.

PM if of any interest.

Cheers

Hamburglar

NikNak

This is the drill , still a current model from Axminster tools

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... prod28942/

Its too big to post so would need collecting

£150

You may notice the current drill is listed with a 550w motor , I think its either a misprint or cutbacks as my drill is 3/4 HP and HEAVY

:lol: :lol:

Huum

Photobucket is playing up at the moment , wont upload photos ?????

will try again later

:wink:

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0571.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

Hoora !

its working again :p

Blister":1pkxt3x3 said:
Its too big to post so would need collecting

Or, you could try getting a pallet and bolting the drill directly on top. Freecycle tends to be a good source for pallets. Of course, it would also need to be wrapped in plastic or similar to protect it from the rain. If you think it's a bit top-heavy then, no, many large bandsaws are transported like this (although, some do have accidents, or so I've heard.... :?). :wink:

Blister..... thanks very much for the replies (and pics), that was the drill that was well 'thumbed' in the Ax catalogue....

but between your first posting & the pics that follwed (quite a few hours later), i've gone and bagged a Meddings off of ebay..... wohooo... plus it's just a few miles round the corner.

It looks like it's had a good life, but i reckon a little bit of TLC and it'll be a little stonker.

How much...?? £49..!!! for a Meddings.....! O.M.G. come to daddy.... :D

Thanks for all replies and offers chaps, but i reckon i'm now sorted. Just gotta collect it.

Nick

NikNak":1p02kyv6 said:
Blister..... thanks very much for the replies (and pics), that was the drill that was well 'thumbed' in the Ax catalogue....

but between your first posting & the pics that follwed (quite a few hours later), i've gone and bagged a Meddings off of ebay..... wohooo... plus it's just a few miles round the corner.

It looks like it's had a good life, but i reckon a little bit of TLC and it'll be a little stonker.

How much...?? £49..!!! for a Meddings.....! O.M.G. come to daddy.... :D

Thanks for all replies and offers chaps, but i reckon i'm now sorted. Just gotta collect it.

Nick

OK no problem

Bargain on the meddings :p :p

.....and here's the little beauty..!! went and collected it last night and spent a few hours his afternoon giving it a little brush & tickle....

IMG_3905b.jpg

£49 well spent...?? i think so... :D

Nick

NikNak":3k0ui4e0 said:
.....and here's the little beauty..!! went and collected it last night and spent a few hours his afternoon giving it a little brush & tickle....

IMG_3905b.jpg

£49 well spent...?? i think so... :D

Hi

Nick

Lucky guy Nick. That's a hell of a bargain. :shock:

I bought a Meddings a couple of months ago although a more modern version and I paid £120 which I think was a steal. It's so accurate and solid.

Enjoy

Bob

Back