bench joiners

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPM

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just been looking at this

Is it possible or not, to mount a planner upside down to make a joiner?
Do these things already exist?

I am sure you could build a fence for it too. I looked at the bench joiners and understand that the blades are wider than the normal plane but it could be a mini joiner :oops: :)

Anyone?

Thanks.

Elu used to make a device like that for the long planer they did (very similar to the current Virutex CE24E, actually made by Casals - i.e. the same with a badge swap) and I had one back in the late 1970s. They had a sprung-flap guard and were a bit "tippy" on anything over a couple of feet in length even on such a long planer. The fence was the standard fence used for door planing, but quite frankly it was pants for doing anything over a foot long, flexy and innacurate - as I suppose a 5-inch long fence might be. In other words it was the sort of tool which caused me to tense my buttocks every time I used it......

Scrit

Scrit":h27kk4me said:
it was the sort of tool which caused me to tense my buttocks every time I used it......

I think I see where you are coming from there :wink:

But....do they not make a planner jig/tool/table?

We have the router table.....why not a planner table?

mainly i think because it is a pita to mount the planer upside
down, and keep it stable.

i guess you could use something like the holder for a belt sander,
but as scrit says not a very big fence capability.

anyway why screw up a perfectly useful planer to make something
that already exists in a more safe form??? :twisted:

paul :wink:

Triton make an attachment that allows a planer to be mounted on the Workcentre 2000. These have mixed reviews, being a bit difficult to set up and use. Also not much use if you don't already have the Triton workcentre. Biggest problem I see is that you are limited to about 82 mm (3 1/4") width and the sole of the planer, and thus the bed of the jointer, is much shorter than on even the most basic budget dedicated machine, making it of dubious use for trueing up edges. You can also do basic edge jointing on a router table, but that is even more limited in width of cut (50 mm straight bit), although the longer fence will probably result in a straighter edge.

According to the description of the Bosch ADV 82 Thicknessing Attachment on the Axminster web site:
"The planer is mounted on top of the attachment as shown in the picture for thicknessing and upside down in the attachment when surface planing. A parallel and angle guide can be fitted to the planer in the surfacing mode to allow for precise planing of edges at angles between 90° and 45° and there is a pair of special clamps available to fix the attachment to the bench."

mahking51":1joitdsd said:
Just sold an ADV82 Bosch Planer adapter on EBay. Used it once, complete piece of junk!
martin

I bet the guy who bought it will be pleased to hear that :lol: .

George N
His lesson will not be so expensive as mine; paid over £80 a couple of years ago before I had a proper planer, used it once; has so many bits it was a royal PITA to assemble and set up. Sold for £40, thats life!
Martin

Latest posts

Back