Belt spec for Clarke CWL-20RV lathe.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTurn

Reaction score
Hi, I took stock of a second hand Clarke CWL-20RV, which I was told (by the seller over the phone) quote 'never used it, and I paid £700 about when I bought it' (Riiiight, thinks I. Strokey beard moment.)
The lathe was sat adjacent to a now unused (and fair sized) half full slime covered indoor swimming pool, so you can imagine, it needed TLC from the off. To be fair to the guy, he had sold this house to move into his new mansion where I met him. He was in fact a nice bloke, thoughtfully carrying the headstock to my car, covering the crack in the bottom rear of the casting.
No surprisingly, the belt is now tired, and I have to admit, I wasn't aware of the TLC the head pulley required (dry ptfe) - I had lubricated everywhere that looked like it should be greased (motorcycle spray chain grease : it's the WD40 of the grease world - not too much on, but boy does it get where it needs to be)
After consulting the Clarke manual, I concluded it had been written on a Friday afternoon by the author, who was clearly looking forward to and thinking of the pints of beer he was going to enjoy, rather than the job in hand. It lists a quote 'V belt, 23 mm'. Hmm. No help at all.
After melting the server farm & search engine at google HQ, I concluded the belt *may be* an A23 or a 23" belt or an A or Z spec belt of some designation. The outer and inner lengths are 600 mm & 569 mm (or 23 5/8" & 22 3/8" to the unconverted) respectively. I realise it may well have stretched. The belt does indeed have '23' printed on it. Its current thickness (the only reliable dimension) is 6 mm which makes me think its a Z series belt, it's top width and bottom width seriously compromised, may have been 10 mm and 6 mm respectively.
It's the length I'm struggling with. I searched the forums here and elsewhere, before posting, but found no answer to that question.
Can anyone (without telling me that its the same as an AWVSL 900, which I know) tell me specifically the length or even better, spec of this belt, before I go back to my Axminster lathe and weigh in the Clarke (The Clarke is a step up if somewhat care worn, from my Axminster AWSL mini lathe).
I realise this may appear a bit of a monologue, but believe you me, I've spent far longer looking, driving around and searching than I did typing these few lines.
Cheers all.

Hi all, thanks for the replies. I had searched this and other forums before posting, non of the posts I found actually answered my question. Plenty danced around it.

post537049.html#p537049 didn't show up in my search (only 4 posts were returned), maybe I was too specific using cwl-20rv as the search, HOWEVER coming from an engineering past as I do, I know how much manufacturers like to produce variants (sometimes under the same model number).
The 0-560 may be the very belt I am looking for, since mine currently has an o/d of 600 & an i/d of 569. This would mean (as I suspected) it's a Z22 belt. Having the correct 'name' for the belt brings up hundreds more hits and therefore hundreds more choices & price when shopping ;)

Many thanks for the help.

Back