Belt & Disc Sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomtaj

Reaction score
Hello, Have two questions that hopefully someone can offer advice on - Firstly I am an amateur woodworker and have a limited budget, but have learned the hard way that cheap tools are a waste of time and money.
So my first question is will a Bench & Disc Sander be a worthwhile addition to my workshop? ( having never used one )
I make mainly small items such as brackets and wall mounts out of Oak. The most time consuming aspect is sanding down rough wood.. which I currently do by hand :( . So I'm hoping a machine could help me a lot.
Second question is I've short listed a SIP 01946 Belt And Disc Sander 4" & 8" that sells for around £180 and looks to be a step up on the basic Clark and Sealey models. As it has a 500w motor and cast iron body. The downside is it only has a 1 year warrenty.. whereas the cheaper machines generally have 3 years.. So I'm wary of that. So is the Sip a good machine for my purpose please?
Thanks for any reply!

Nomtaj":1ex5pbz5 said:
Second question is I've short listed a SIP 01946 Belt And Disc Sander 4" & 8" that sells for around £180 and looks to be a step up on the basic Clark and Sealey models. As it has a 500w motor and cast iron body. The downside is it only has a 1 year warrenty.. whereas the cheaper machines generally have 3 years.. So I'm wary of that. So is the Sip a good machine for my purpose please?
Thanks for any reply!
I've had a SIP 01946 for several years it's a great machine and I've had no problems.
Roger

MattRoberts":swup0s3o said:
Might be worth reading up here viewtopic.php?t=110202 :)
Thanks! should have checked for previous posts first... I now see that that Belt & disc sanders are Not a good idea overall, so will stick with what works I guess - a block of wood with sandpaper wrapped round it.

Back