Beginners workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samharber

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello there.

I've been lurking for a while, but thought it would be nice to actually make a post or two.

I'm pretty new to the whole woodworking malarky, but I'm enjoying the process of turning wood into sawdust. I'm hoping to make planters to keep the beloved happy in the garden, and also turn out small cups and bowls and small chests for friends.

I've been allowed to set up a small workshop in one corner of the cellar, and I've got a 4" long workbench to play with.
Power tool wise, I've got a Fox F60-100A Router Table, a B&Q Mitre Saw and a Trend dovetail jig with a Bosch POF1200 Router (and universal plate).

I've got two things on my wish list, a mini lathe and a pillar drill.

The big question is, how do I fit them all into my alloted space without tripping up all the time?
I'm planning on mounting them on thick MDF so I can clamp them to the workbench when in use, but will this work for the pillar drill? Would I be better off permanently mounting it on the workbench?

In short, how do I make the most of such a tiny space? Is there anything I'm missing? Is it too late to turn back?

All advice welcome.

Hello Sam Welcome to the forum.
I'm hoping that you meant to say that your bench is 4' long ... 4" would cause some real space problems. :)
My drill press is happy to free stand on the bench. They're pretty heavy things anyway and when in use you will be only applying force downwards into itself so it shouldn't need clamping.
As for lathes, mini or otherwise, I'm sure that a post in the turning section would get some answers.

Inches, feet, millimeters... what's the difference.

Of course, this could explain why so much stuff I make doesn't actually fit :)

Welcome to the forum!

I was working out of a small shed at my parents house a while ago and I only had one machine which was a bandsaw, it did have its own place, however I did find myself moving it onto the bench at times when I needed to cut big items. My bench was two folding trestles, with a 45mm thick offcut of a fire door.

http://www.freewebs.com/simonswoodwork/Picture 065.jpg
http://www.freewebs.com/simonswoodwork/SL373360.JPG

My point being is that you can make things in a small space, the only problem is that it does get a bit cramped, so you have to try and make small items only if you can help it :wink:

Welcome to the forum and perhaps you would tell us where you are situated.

Space is nearly always a problem for most hobbyists, but where there is a will there is usually a way.

Hi there.

I live in Tameside, near Manchester, in a two up, two down terrace with a communal back area and a cellar under the living room, where we keep all our camping, climbing, and caving equipment, two push bikes, a weights bench and the wine rack.

Apparently I'm not allowed to dig out the cellar under the kitchen :?

Paul Chapman":1hdydnk8 said:
samharber":1hdydnk8 said:
and the wine rack.

Well, if you drink the wine, that will create a bit more space :D

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I reckon we can be more helpful that that Paul!
If we all go round and help drink the wine and then advise on the workshop layout once our inds have been lubricated. :lol:

Welcome to the forum Sam

Bob

Back